divemasters and instructors course..where, when, how much?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one on here that thinks a DM needs more than 50 dives. When people get OW certified half already want to be tec divers and the other half want to be instructors before their checkout dives. People tend to forget that the people that are those things have worked hard for years (most of them anyway) to get to that point in their diving lives. I say this all the time on here but there is no substitute for experience. I don't care how much you study and read about everything until you do it you don't fully understand it.

Wow you can really enter a DM class with 30 dives. Money really does rule the world, so much for common sense.

Wow you can really enter a DM class with 30 dives. Money really does rule the world, so much for common sense.
Of course not, that's crazy .... making someone wait until they have 30 dives I mean! For PADI, it's only 20: Divemaster Courses - Lessons, Training, Tips & Professional Careers - PADI Scuba Diving Training Organization

Granted it's a while before they graduate, but in the meantime they are still assisting with classes and influencing new divers.

I wouldn't trust a divemaster with 60 dives as anything more than a normal dive buddy, I wouldn't want to be taught by an instructor with less than 500 dives. Number of dives isn't everything, but it often gives a rough idea of general competence. I have almost 40 dives, I don't know if I"m a slow learner or not, but I know I am nowhere near ready to assist others in any capacity more than a dive buddy. I can't see others being that different. I want a teacher to be properly trained, but I also want them to have a ton of experience in cold water diving. My ideal teacher has their dive count in the thousands (with most of those in something similar to the local environment), some technical experience, and a good deal of prior teaching experience.

Is there an aptitude test to determine who enters dive master or instructor training? Colleges have SAT and ACT. The military and law enforcement agencies test applicants prior to accepting them into training.

If a person was astronaut-sharp and physically fit, I would see no teason why they couldn't become a dive instructor in a short period of time.

If a person was astronaut-sharp and physically fit, I would see no teason why they couldn't become a dive instructor in a short period of time.
I really doubt brains or fitness has that much to do with it. Physical fitness really isn't needed in most recreational diving (beyond a certain minimum of course). I doubt there is any difference in dive skill between someone who is physically fit and someone who is only average in that regard.

Intelligence is important, but most things I want to learn from an instructor aren't academic in nature. Recreational diver academics are very simple, I don't need someone with a PHD to teach the stuff.

What I want more than anything in an instructor is experience. There are two reasons for this, one is that experience tends to make someone a better diver, the second is that they have simply been through and seen more and can share their experiences and incorporate it into their teaching.

If all I cared about was fitness and brains all I'd need to do to pick a good instructor is ask "what is your IQ and how much can you bench press"? Add them together and the instructor with the highest score gets my business :D

Sorry to be completely off topic :no:

I guess it really depends on where you want to go?

I know people who have used iDAP in Sabang, Puerto Galera. The Philippines is cool to dive all year round and North to South.

If you choose to go there give me a PM and I will let the CD there know to hook you up a good price.

Is there an aptitude test to determine who enters dive master or instructor training?

By PADI standards, your test is called "Wallet Size and Depth". If you're willing to pay they're willing to sell you what ever it is you want to do. It is really up to your training instructor to pass or fail you.

I agree with walke121, too many people are in a rush to get to the top. There is no achievement for getting to DM. In fact, most often DM takes the fun out of diving when you're the one leading the trip. You're no longer diving for yourself you're diving for the enjoyment and safety of those divers placed in your care. Group management skills are a must!

I encourage anyone considering becoming a DM or instructor to head over to the Accidents and Incidents forum and read the many recent threads about some of the mishaps and close calls that have occurred under the not so watchful eye of a dive leader. I'm not trying to scare anyone but you should have a good grasp of the responsibility required to be a dive leader.

It never ceases to amaze me that people that are NOT dive pro's through PADI are very quick to start bashing the agency whenever they get the chance.:deadhorse:

People, this thread was started with someone asking questions about becoming an instructor. It has nothing to do with your personal bias against a particular agency!

So get back to the topic, will ya? :rolleyes: Sheesh!

Regardless of the agency, my professional opinion remains the same, someone with so few dives has no business leading or instructor fellow divers then they themself have not mastered the skills required to be a leader.

As I've already said, being a dive leader is not longer about "you", it is all about your customers (students, people you're leading, etc). That is a huge responsbility to take on and if you don't fully grasp what you're getting yourself in to you should definatly see the negative side of being a dive leader (Accidents and Incidents forum).

People project the image that being a DM or Instructor is "great", it's the life to live but most fail to see the dangers and risks associated with it. Before jumping head first in, ask yourself "Why do I wan't to be a dive leader". If you don't have an answer for that question you should be come up with an answer before you go any further.

Regardless of the agency, my professional opinion remains the same, someone with so few dives has no business leading or instructor fellow divers then they themself have not mastered the skills required to be a leader.

As I've already said, being a dive leader is not longer about "you", it is all about your customers (students, people you're leading, etc). That is a huge responsbility to take on and if you don't fully grasp what you're getting yourself in to you should definatly see the negative side of being a dive leader (Accidents and Incidents forum).

People project the image that being a DM or Instructor is "great", it's the life to live but most fail to see the dangers and risks associated with it. Before jumping head first in, ask yourself "Why do I wan't to be a dive leader". If you don't have an answer for that question you should be come up with an answer before you go any further.

I have to agree, I'm not a big fan of the low dive number requirements put up by PADI, and other agencies.

From what I understand, 5 years is the average time for instructor burn out these days. I think a lot of factors play into that, lack of total experience being one of the factors. When you are a DM or instructor, at best you are "diving alone". You can't rely on the students to bail you out of there is a problem. You need to be comfortable enough with your own skills first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom