I am happy with today's level of Diver Training!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think OW in general is okay, it leaves a lot out, but realistically students can probably only absorb so much until getting more experience.

AOW really irks me though, you get some experience but learn nothing new. The "academics" are a waste of time and teach little beyond common sense. AOW would be a great chance to actually greatly work on bouyancy (maybe some confined water sessions?), learn more about decompression theory, learn about advanced gas management, learn about current predictions, learn more about equipment, etc: but unless you get an instructor who teaches way above the standards, you see little to none of this. The real danger is the deep dive and the subsequent 100 feet certification, which all happens without the slightest bit of gas management education (beyond "check your SPG more"). AOW could be a great course for those who want to be more than vacation divers, but beyond a few new skills and some experience it is a waste of time with most instructors.

I only have a job because of the lame state of OW instruction on the Mainland. It doesn't come close to paying the bills even if it were full time, so the use of the word professional is using a term very, very loosely.

I know personal trainers who teach pole dancing that make a better living than most dive instructors! The downhill bicycle guides on Haleakala make more than most instructors/guides here.

Well when I learned to dive gas management was when its hard to breath the unbalanced reg you go up until it is easier and do it again until your at the surface! So it is a good thing since we have gauges that tell us so we can! But that's a different thread! You can start yelling now, because of the way I learned, I am back when I am out of air! I don't live by the 500psi rule! I can dive as long as I have air, now that doesn't mean I am 80ft down or five hundred feet from the boat! with almost five thousand dives over 37 years I am very comfortable in the water! Now in a cave or wreck, different story!

I still stand by my statement that if we were failing the industry and people then Harry Reid would be having hearings! So please don't let them know how much untaxed fun we are having! :no:

This thread makes me sad.

Can you tell I've had about enough of these lets make it better threads?

Your using that term loosely, very loosely.
Point taken....
Can't you tell I'm just tryin' to get back in your sig line?

lol, papa's is a gem I can't let go. Since I can't fit them both in, I'll have to bookmark it for later. :wink:

First of all it was started as a "We should feel good about the industry, the instructors, and the new divers with OWC!" So if your sad about start your own agency, instruct your students, as one sad as you would your own children, and be proud that people are enjoying the ocean even if it's on the Bunny Hill!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom