Typhoon TCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any experience with it? Any feedback is appreciated.

Well I guess no-one has any experience.

I got it yesterday (at $499 brand new! who could resist!). I tried it today. I have nothing to compare it to so I am not sure what to report.

First I had two very nice dive buddies that were watching over me and instructing me on the use and things to watch for.

Things that I liked:

1. Price (at almost half the price of the nearest other offer).

2. It seems ruggedly built to last quite a while.

3. Easy to control. Granted this was my first dive but I didn't have to struggle with it under water.

4. Thigh pocket. I can put some things in that might need and streamline a bit.

Things I didn't like.

1. While it has some thermal insulation properties it is not enough so I need to add bit more undergarment but Typhoon 100g undergarment was bit too bulky, at least one I've tried.

2. Back entry. This suit is definitely one that diver needs help from dive buddy to get ready.

3. Neoprene wrist seals. It just seems that this is bit harder to put on compared to latex seals.

Overall I am very happy with this investment as it will extend my ability to dive year round.

well, I just ordered one as well! couldn't pass up the price. Found a coupon, so I got free shipping!

just got my suit and all I can say is WOW....far better than I expected.

I thought it would be a previous year's model, but it looks like the current model.

Fit is perfect! I went with the Large with 11-12 boots cause i'm 6'2" and skinny! with size 11-12 shoes. Well, height wise it's perfect, girth, it's few inches bigger than me, my chest is about 39" and I think the large size is 44". The boots are a good size bigger than my feet thought.

So, the quality is great! i'm really impressed with the material of the suit.

Has Apeks valves!

Pocket on the right thigh

the boots are not rock boots, but they are rubber boots, so no need for additional boots

It even included a drysuit bag!

Wrist seals are tight, and neck seal is perfect and doesn't even have to be cut!

can't wait to dive this thing!

For $500 you can not go wrong with this suit!

It's funny I've been looking at the ads for this suit and wondering if it was a decent deal....price is sure right......I tried some diving off San Diego this past summer and liked to have froze to death in a 7mm suit with hood and gloves etc.....vowed I'd never do it again without a dry suit.....post more comments on how you like it after diving some more.....did you have to use a lot of weight to counter the bouyancy??

I dive AL80 so this adds about 4lb. Granted I haven't had the suite dialed in and could probably get rid of a couple of pounds. But right now I am diving 28lbs and this is about 10lbs more then my 7mm+5/3mm wetsuit outfit.

I have 6 dives in it so far and like it a lot. As other poster said I didn't even have to trip the neck ring and wrist seals are good as well. So far it keeps me dry.

Only objection so far is that it is back zip and requires a buddy help to get set up.

I did 2 dives today in fairly cold water (48F first dive and 54-68F second dive) and I didn't use the special undergarment just long johns from REI and long sleeved undershirt and fleece on top and worked good for me.

Will report more after diving at Monterey, CA this weekend.

So I had 3 dives in Monterey, CA this past weekend in my new drysuit. The hiking socks, longjohns and long sleeved undershirt from REI and fleece kept me warm plenty enough that I didn't feel any stress due to temperature during or after the dive. 54F water did lower the core temp of those diving wet enough so after second dive they were shivering. I feel that I could have done two more dives w/o compromising my core temp at all. I found out that I am not experienced enough to dive comfortably when it comes to ascent w/o visual line. But that is ok, practice and more practice and will come. For right now with 30lbs in salt water I did decent. (Far from being happy with my performance but I am not complaining either.)

Overall after 10 dives so far I think it is well worth the $500 I've paid for it and will serve me well for quite some time.

Just got my typhoon TCS in the mail yesterday.....won't be able to dive it for a while but it sure LOOKS great.....really solid, heavy-duty construction....I was afraid it might be a piece of junk but it looks like a really great deal for the price I paid!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom