Canon WP-V1 Housing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About one hour of use with the standard BP-809.
The Canon BP-819 extended life battery does work in the WP-V1 but I have not verified usage time yet. It is supposed to be about 2 hours of use.
I have read somewhere that other brands of extended life batteries will not fit in the WP-V1. I read it somewhere, but cannot verify that it is true.

I posted it. I contacted a Canon rep and they emailed me what patteries would work with the WP-V1.

"
Dear Canon Customer,

Customer's may use the following camera batteries with the Waterproof Case:

The Canon BP-809 battery pack and the Canon BP-819 battery pack

The Canon BP-827 battery pack will NOT be able to be used with the Waterproof case.

The Waterproof Case Weight WW-DC1 are an optional accessory.

Maybe it's just me, but it's depressing that the battery in my camcorder costs more than the battery in my car...

Many, many thanks.
The underwater mode is not documented properly anywhere I could find and the turning it on or off was not documented anywhere at all.
I cannot thank you guys enough for the information provided.

The Canon BP819 is available at BH Photo for 84.99 (where I usually buy most photo equipment), but a google of Canon BP819 finds them for as little as 32.99 from some lesser known retailers (use your best judgment here).

One last question on the subject: Is the o-ring on the WP-V1 a special molded, or a standard size. I cannot find any information on that either other than it is referenced several times in the WP-V1 manual (contact Canon service), but no part # is given.

I have been editing some video with a macbook pro from a trip to the Gbr with Mike Ball a few weeks ago. for the first time hooked up a dvi to a hd tv and I was floored by the quality of the video from this little camera and housing. If you have not seen the signal through the hdmi output or the dvi give a it a try. Even with no white balance, wide angle or lights, stunning images at one tenth the price of a pro model. If you have this camera do not regret for one moment your purchase, it is worth it.

I have been editing some video with a macbook pro from a trip to the Gbr with Mike Ball a few weeks ago. for the first time hooked up a dvi to a hd tv and I was floored by the quality of the video from this little camera and housing. If you have not seen the signal through the hdmi output or the dvi give a it a try. Even with no white balance, wide angle or lights, stunning images at one tenth the price of a pro model. If you have this camera do not regret for one moment your purchase, it is worth it.

Now take it one step further.
If you have a PC (there is no dongle for a laptop yet) and want to make use of the "off-the-chip" feature of using HDMI out to HDMI in editing, take a look at this piece of hardware and a short video from Henry Olonga centered around this hardware.

Blackmagic Design: Intensity

HDMI Showcase - Colours of England on Vimeo

HDMI capture IS the best way to import video from your HF20/200. It bypasses all compression algorhythms and goes straight to the Cineform editor.

There is no need to worry about 60i containers, 2:3 pulldown, 24/30p...It all goes away.

I hope this helps someone...
Oh, and BTW...ONLY buy genuine Canon batteries...and if you buy them in person, pay special attention to the hologram on the battery pack and other identifiers.

Counterfeit Canon Battery

Many, many thanks.
The underwater mode is not documented properly anywhere I could find and the turning it on or off was not documented anywhere at all.
I cannot thank you guys enough for the information provided.

The Canon BP819 is available at BH Photo for 84.99 (where I usually buy most photo equipment), but a google of Canon BP819 finds them for as little as 32.99 from some lesser known retailers (use your best judgment here).

One last question on the subject: Is the o-ring on the WP-V1 a special molded, or a standard size. I cannot find any information on that either other than it is referenced several times in the WP-V1 manual (contact Canon service), but no part # is given.

My suggestion is to get a micrometer and measure the o-ring and then go to a swimming pool supply or irrigation supply store (maybe even Home Depot) and check it against their stock.

HDMI capture IS the best way to import video from your HF20/200. It bypasses all compression algorhythms and goes straight to the Cineform editor.
There is no need to worry about 60i containers, 2:3 pulldown, 24/30p...It all goes away.
Counterfeit Canon Battery

Could you, please, explain this in more details. I thought that camera saves already compressed data on flash, so when it plays it back quality can not be better then if I import/copy file to the computer.

If you have a PC (there is no dongle for a laptop yet) and want to make use of the "off-the-chip" feature of using HDMI out to HDMI in editing, take a look at this piece of hardware and a short video from Henry Olonga centered around this hardware.

Blackmagic Design: Intensity

HDMI Showcase - Colours of England on Vimeo

Yeah, HDMI capture is great, but let's make sure everyone understands what it means.

HDMI capture is recording directly to a PC hard drive while you are filming. Do-able in a fixed indoor setting, but not really for typical consumer shooting indoors or outdoors or underwater.

Yeah, HDMI capture is great, but let's make sure everyone understands what it means.

HDMI capture is recording directly to a PC hard drive while you are filming. Do-able in a fixed indoor setting, but not really for typical consumer shooting indoors or outdoors or underwater.

Read this, then come back to the table for further discussion.

http://69.15.88.17/hdmisipics/HDMI_in_HDV_and_AVCHD_Camcorders.pdf

Then you too, will understand what it means.

Could you, please, explain this in more details. I thought that camera saves already compressed data on flash, so when it plays it back quality can not be better then if I import/copy file to the computer.

Right. Your video IS compressed on the SD card and if you remove it and play it through your computer, then it requires software decompression via codecs.

If, however, you use an HDMI cable and a PCI Express HDMI capture card, then it goes through HARDWARE decompression and error correction (inside the HF20/200) using the 80GB/sec HDMI cable for transfer. This data is decompressed, What others are referring to is never compressed HDMI data streams. The two are virtually indistinguishable.

http://69.15.88.17/hdmisipics/HDMI_in_HDV_and_AVCHD_Camcorders.pdf

If you will notice the following flowchart, you will see that the HDMI signal during playback goes through a different path than the analog signal, and through decompression and error correction.

4037832370_fea926f05c_o.jpg

You don't need to carry your PC with you underwater to get the benefits of uncompressed video...and it makes the editing of the video easier and maybe 20 times faster according to some sources (20 minutes @720p vs 100 minutes through the AVCHD compressed codec)

Back
Top Bottom