Can you learn scuba from tv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

want2div

Registered
Reaction score
Hi just saw a movie, "Bulletproof Monk" in which some guy learned to fight (martial arts) by watching movies - he actually did it!!

Is it possible to learn to dive by, say, watching Jacques Cousteau movies? How many - one, or a whole season? Should I rent several seasons worth?

Thanks!

It's no more possible than expecting to learn auto mechanics by watching Dukes of Hazard. Cousteau would give you lots of the 'what', but would fall short on the 'how'.

Agreed. Cousteau was really about enjoying the majesty of the sea. If you really want to learn to dive from TV, you'll have to watch the first season of Sea Hunt.

I guess you could but good luck finding someone to dive with you, getting on a dive boat and renting tanks. I believe you can take some courses on the internet thru PADI, SSI and some others. Do yourself a favor and take the classes, get to know some new people...and prepare for a long safe, fun hobby

You can't learn diving from a movie. and you can't learn martial arts from a movie. (You can't learn it painting the fence either.) :)

I've been a traditional martial arts instructor, teacher, sensei, what have you, since about 1980, and as Dave said above, the how only comes with a lot of practice and a teacher. Same with diving.

... If you really want to learn to dive from TV, you'll have to watch the first season of Sea Hunt.
Absolutely!!! :eyebrow:
I can't count the number of times good ol' Mike Nelson gave people the 30 second dive course... "Put this in your mouth & if you get any water in, blow hard!"

You could get your gear from the Sears & Roebuck catalog... and the tank was dropped off full of air! :D

Some people might be able to learn if there were instructional videos (not movies) but diving is about doing. You would still need to go off into the ocean and apply what you saw. It would not be the best solution. I suppose it depends on how you define 'learn to dive.' Just because someone doesn't drown on their first trip out does not mean they know how to dive.

Hi just saw a movie, "Bulletproof Monk" in which some guy learned to fight (martial arts) by watching movies - he actually did it!!

Is it possible to learn to dive by, say, watching Jacques Cousteau movies? How many - one, or a whole season? Should I rent several seasons worth?

Thanks!

I watched TopGun several times but still can't fly a fighter plane. All kidding aside, I would suggest watching Cousteau movies as a way of furthering your interest in learning to dive.

Find a dive shop/instructor and take the courses and, if you're lucky enough to have some interesting dive sites nearby, dive, dive, dive and then dive some more. If you're in the Ottawa area PM and I'll point you to a shop that I really enjoy dealing with.

no no no. These guys got it all wrong......

listen.....go find "The Deep" with Jaqueline Bisset. You'll learn how to scuba dive(not just OW, we're talking salvage and wreck penetration), learn the ins and outs of the drug market, underwater martial arts, and how to schmooze your way right into some hot girls panties.

Great movie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom