Can you learn scuba from tv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, a course sounds like a good idea. What is the best place to get certified? Is PADI the best?

You sure the hell will learn how to dress for warm water! YES! :popcorn: Don't they show videos for Naui, PADI, SDI, ETC? Isent that TV? I learned painting from John Neaggy! ?????

OK, a course sounds like a good idea. What is the best place to get certified? Is PADI the best?

Please don't ask that question!

There are many agencies that can get you started, and they all have their followers and their enemies. I am cringing right now because what is sure to follow is an anti-PADI fusillade from the usual suspects.

PADI is the most recognized, look into NAUI and SSI also, see whats in your area. It is your instuctor that is going to make it "the best" with whomever you go with

Hi just saw a movie, "Bulletproof Monk" in which some guy learned to fight (martial arts) by watching movies - he actually did it!!

Is it possible to learn to dive by, say, watching Jacques Cousteau movies? How many - one, or a whole season? Should I rent several seasons worth?

Thanks!

You can learn how to kill baby seals watching Jacques or how to blow up reefs! Our how to dress in warm water! You can learn a lot, just not enough to keep you alive or fix your Dodge!

Hey, I learned everything I know from James Bond!! :rofl3:

Joking, of course.

Best thing to do is talk to others in your area - who did they like? Then visit the various shops / instructors and talk to them. If s/he cares about you learning the skills, you should get that feeling. If s/he doesn't have time for you, get your tail out of there!

The good instructors are passionate about their craft, will discuss it with enthusiasm, and ask you a great many questions before accepting you as a student.

Although, I've never heard anyone argue that the BASC is the best . . . you might not have one around.

Welcome to exploring the other 71% of the Earth!

There is a lot to picking the best possible agency. The most important thing is to make sure that the local instructor you use, regardless of the agency, is going to give you the proper care and attention that you need. There is a lot of information in the stickies that will help. Read those first, then ask around your area for suggestions. Contact local shops and local independent instructors and interview them carefully. Find out how long the course takes, how long you will be in the water, what is expected of you, etc. Then make a fully informed decision.

no no no. These guys got it all wrong......

listen.....go find "The Deep" with Jaqueline Bisset. You'll learn how to scuba dive(not just OW, we're talking salvage and wreck penetration), learn the ins and outs of the drug market, underwater martial arts, and how to schmooze your way right into some hot girls panties.

Great movie.

The Deep is a great suggestion, although you should be able to find tons of other videos on the net on how to do this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom