PADI dropping dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was told by a dive shop that PADI will soon (2009) be dropping dive tables from basic Open Water certification study. The thought is that everyone should and does dive with a computer now and no one uses the tables, so it will fit with current practice. To keep divers safe they will teach NDL theory and recommend mandatory use of computers during any dive.

True? False? Discussion.... :popcorn:

Umm i did my cert in july and tables were just touched on a bit, i think they prettymuch discontinued packaging tables with the books for ow. I think they should touch on tables and include them because you can always just tape them together if they break, but you cant really fix a comp if it breaks or gets wet. It would prevent ruining diving for the day if you have comp problems

It's all about the $$$, of course they won't teach you the proper way to dive if it doesn't benefit their pocket.

i wouldn't be surprised if they were dropping the tables in favor the eRDP....

the PADI shop I did my DM through spent a good bit of time on the tables for OW students, and didn't really touch on computers except to say what they are for.

Learning the tables really help a diver to understand and apply the theory. I, for one, hope that they do not stop teaching the tables.

To me, it is like "let's stop teaching children the multiplication tables, they can always use a calculator".

Shortsightedness.

What a joke. We'll have to pass the tables down to the new divers, much like cultures in the past passed down the tribal history.

just looked it up, PADI is now allowing instructors to teach with the option of using dive computers instead of the RDP tables.

Instructors can teach the tables, the tables and computers, or just computers....

But they do require that students know the theory, and importance of planning every dive.

Personally, I always carry a set of backup table, just in case....

edit....EAN course is now computer-based also.

PADI's Third Quarter Training Bulletin announced that instructors now have the option of teaching the Open Water Course with computers only or tables only. The change became effective in August 2009, and PADI's new quizzes for computer users became available on September 1, 2009.

PADI's Nitrox course underwent a similar change in the second quarter of 2009, and materials for the computer option became available in July 2009.

That is the straight dope directly from PADI. Many of the instructors on the board discussed it after the announcement was made, and I think it's fair to say that most of us who expressed an opinion are not in favor of teaching tables only.

Incidentally, one of the SSI instructors said that SSI was going to a computer option, too.

Did an OW class earlier this year, ~April. Tables (not eRDP) were covered pretty thoroughly. I was bummed at the time, "why do we have to learn it if were just going to use computers".

Looking back, I'm REALLY glad they did. Not to learn the tables, but the why behind the tables. That was the valuable part to me.

They are watching SDI catching up! Welcome to the 21st century! Good for them! We don't teach clearing double hose regs either in OW!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom