Staying warm in the north east winter, women's pants...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know, an odd question. But, my girlfriend is afraid to travel to the north during any cold season because she has joint problems. If it drops down to even in the 70s, her knees start to freeze up on her. I'd love to take her up for some diving and tourism up north, but she won't go if it's cold, and I think the colder times of year are the best.

What do women up north wear to keep their legs warm? I'm looking to buy her a pair of pants that is stylish, and doesn't look like it's for skiing or anything, that she could wear in the Florida winter, to prove to her that she could dress appropriately and survive in the cold. But, I have no clue what sorts of clothing fit the bill, or where to shop, because I'm a guy and know nothing about clothes.

Can any northern women help me out?

Thanks!!

You need to meet LL Bean..... They make you want to travel north just so you can dress cozy.

Leggings, flannel lined slacks and all sorts of goodies await.

Pete

Lands End sells Polarfleece lined jeans. I have several pairs. They look like normal blue jeans, but they're really warm. They used to sell fleece-lined chinos, too, which I used for work, but they no longer make them.

Silk long johns under normal pants help, but the fleece is better.

I know, an odd question. But, my girlfriend is afraid to travel to the north during any cold season because she has joint problems. If it drops down to even in the 70s, her knees start to freeze up on her. I'd love to take her up for some diving and tourism up north, but she won't go if it's cold, and I think the colder times of year are the best.

What do women up north wear to keep their legs warm? I'm looking to buy her a pair of pants that is stylish, and doesn't look like it's for skiing or anything, that she could wear in the Florida winter, to prove to her that she could dress appropriately and survive in the cold. But, I have no clue what sorts of clothing fit the bill, or where to shop, because I'm a guy and know nothing about clothes.

Can any northern women help me out?

Thanks!!

I am not a woman - but have some knee issues. So, keeping knees warm - depending on activities:

If sitting for long periods of time - chemical hot packs. They make several for behind the knees, wrap arounds, on top of the patella, etc. Some can be placed in socks as well and held in place with an ace wrap.

Neoprene knee braces also work well. Get the longer style with the open patella (it's about 5-7 mm thick). The neoprene keeps those joints nice an comfy during moderate activities such as walking around the nor'east. The neoprene is a great stabilizer as well.

Warm long socks - the thigh highs work, comfy mid calf boots, polyproplene (they were sold as Cuddle Duds), products with thinsulate are effective, female long johns, hats, gloves, neck wraps, etc.

Remember, one key to staying warm is layers of clothing. So several layers works well. She doesn't have to look like a bear - just a few layers then adjust as necessary.

If she is going to be playing in the snow as well - you might want to consider leg gators and/or other forms of water-resistant articles.

Most of this stuff can be found locally, LL Bean, Gander Mountain, Cabelas, and so on.

We only get an average of 250 inches of snow a year around these parts. :D:D

Good luck.

You've got some great responses and agree with all the other posters. Jeans and khakis with the flannel or fleece lining inside are great . I suggest dressing in layers if your GF gets very cold.

Two years ago, I went to the Quebec Winter Festival in Jan/Feb, which is way up north and it was cold. Before I went I did some research and decided to go with silk long johns and silk long sleeved undershirt, a turtleneck, a sweater/or fleece for the top, and jeans for the bottom.

Layer the feet as well with a liner and then a sock. I was very toasty at the festival and at the ice hotel. Now a days I only pull out the silk long johns/undershirts when both temps and wind chill fall below zero.

Fleece lined jeans sound perfect! She does like jeans. Problem is, I can't find them at Lands End or LL Bean...I found some at Cabelas though... I might also buy her a nice fleece jacket, I think she'd stay much warmer with that than with a cotton "hoodie" jacket like she usually wears.

[edit] I found kits once at Lands End, and some that look very manly at LL Bean... Anywhere with fleece lined jeans that look feminine? Oh goodness, I can't believe I am saying that...you don't understand, I've spent more time shopping for clothes for her today than I have shopping for my own clothes in probably my entire life... lol!

Thanks so much everyone for the thoughts!

when you say you prefer the colder times of year, when about are you talking, and how far north? A fleece jacket is nice in fall but won't be enough for her in like January, unless maybe it's one of the really warm layered and lined versions.

The fleece lined jeans would be my suggestion too, but I don't think they're something she'll want to wear much at home in Florida. And while LL Bean has men's and woman's versions, even the womans version is not going to be a sleek fit. I think you will find that is true in general, a little boxy works better with the lining, if they were tight and lined you wouldn't be able to move.

Well, really I'd like to take her to the carolinas in winter. Some day, I'd love to go on a trip to Maine but I don't know what time of year that would be. I love spring and fall in the carolinas, so not the coldest times, but for her, plenty cold.

That said, I'd like to get clothes she can wear here in florida in the 40s and 50s. Fleece lined jeans seem great, but what about just fleece pants? I don't know how much she'd like to wear long johns under her normal pants, but I think I can get her to wear special warm pants...also, I do think she'd appreciate some sort of long johns for wearing with normal pants for some events, like outdoor parties in our florida winter, so I'll probably get her atleast one pair of those.

So here is my idea...I'll buy her a pair of long johns/base layer/whatever pants and have her try them out underneath her jeans. If she feels warmer that way, I'll spring for a set of fleece lined jeans or something.

Trying to figure out which of these two might be better:
Cabela's Women's MTP Polartec® Tech Silk Pants with Scent Eliminator&#8482
Cabela's Women's MTP Polartec® Medium-Weight Pants with Scent Eliminator&#8482

Her jeans and such tend to not be too loose, so the second product, which looks like a tighter fit, might be best? Both use fancy brand name fleece...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom