Tipping protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$5/tank is pretty standard in FL, but again, it depends on service provided and required. When my kids were little and we went to restaurants, my starting baseline tip went up, since they always required more work, patience, cleanup, etc.and I recognize that. Now that they are older, I'm back to 15-20% starting point, based on service.

On the boat I dive on, I'm a regular and a certified DM myself, so I require little to no service, I hump my own tanks and usually help the crew out with the other tanks. I still do $5/tank just as a courtesy, and do make sure the other divers see it. Now, if I bring my wife who rarely dives, or a needy friend, etc, the tip goes up as the crew helps out more, it affects the whole trip if the site needs to be tailored to less experienced divers, etc.

So you should factor in honestly if you are average, below-average, or high maintenence work for the crew.

If the cost of the charter goes up, that's the cost of doing business. The tip has become a fee that is not included in the price.

But my point is that "cost of business" is going to be largely passed on to the consumer by way of a higher cost to YOU. So for example: if right now you're paying $85 + "$5 fee not included in the price" for a total cost of $90, if the boat pays the crew you will end up paying something like $105.

Of course I agree with you that if that becomes too high you may opt not to go out on the boat. That's a reallity too. But with the assumption that you WANT to go out diving because you enjoy it, I'm still not sure why so many people seem to desire a future state (boat pays crew) that is so clearly in conflict with their own financial and emotional best interests.

Personally, I think each situation should be considered on its own, rather than trying to derive a set formula. When I went out on the Marissa from San Diego back in July, it was a mid-week charter with only about 4 or 5 of us aboard. The cost of the trip to two dive sites was $75, so 10% of that would have only been a $7.50 tip each, or $37.50 total with 5 divers. A tip of $5 per tank would have been $50 total, divided between the 3 person crew.

I dropped a twenty in the tip jar, and I hope the others did as well. As I understand it, many of the boat crews work strictly for the tips (even here in the U.S.), and even if the tip total had been $100 that morning, $33 or $50 each (depending on if the captain draws a salary and leaves the tips for the crew) is still pretty cheap for several hours of work.

Four months from now, we'll be in Fiji, where I'm told tipping is culturally discouraged. What we've been told is that the resort has a Christmas Party fund, and those that really want to tip are encouraged instead to contribute to the Christmas fund, which goes to pay for a big party for the workers and families that keep the resort going. Cultural context is pretty important in being a gracious guest in another country (and helping dispel the "Ugly American" image for those of us from the U.S.).

Hmm ... I have a few things to add to this thread.

First, I spent some time diving in Utila (Bay Islands, Honduras), which as you may know is a budget destination, where the majority of divers are backpackers just passing through on their gap year or whatever. They do not tip. Heck, I was paying $20 for a dive, including rental gear! Now, I have been to fancy dive resorts since then and tipped accordingly, but my time on Utila made me realize that there are places where the diving is low-budget, and tips are rare. I kind of thought southern Thailand might be like that as well, since it's on the same sort of backpacker circuit. I dive a bit in Florida these days, and I usually awkwardly put $20 in the tip jar at the end of the day (two 2-tank dives). I feel awkward and not sure what to do, because I have been to places where tips are almost unheard of as well as fancy resorts where they expect $100 at the end of my stay.

Second: Is there an apt analogy between dive crew and restaurant servers when it comes to tipping? In the US, restaurant servers are often paid unrealistically low wages (often less than the normal government-mandated minimum wage) because they are legally considered "tipped employees"--meaning that the government expects these people to make much of their income from tips and so does not require paying them the full minimum wage. So, in the US, tips are not so much an "extra bonus for good service" as, in effect, part of the cost of the meal. Many people do not realize it because they don't know about the "tipped employee" category, but stiffing a waiter in the US out of a tip is not unlike refusing to pay for part of one's meal. So my question is whether dive crew in the US are classified as "tipped employees," meaning that they are paid unrealistically low wages based on an assumption that they make much of their income from tips. If so, then I should tip the dive crew in the US the same way I tip waiters in the US: 15-20%. However, in countries in which waiters are paid a decent salary--say, most places in Europe--everything is already included in the bill, and you are not expected to tip very much if at all. In some places, nobody leaves a tip, because the waiters are paid normal salaries, given health insurance, paid vacation, etc., in accordance with the requirements of that country's laws. If the dive crew in such countries are similarly employees who are paid in accordance with that country's laws, then I see no reason to give them US-sized tips. What I am saying (in too many words--sorry) is that US-sized tips are a result of specific US laws that allow "tipped employees" to be paid unrealistically low wages.

Third point/question: I was amused by the talk of the Dutch being non-tippers. Of course, most Europeans are not big tippers for the reason I mentioned above, but the Dutch do have a reputation for being especially frugal. I know because I (an American) am about to marry one of them. Our honeymoon will be in Curacao and Bonaire--the Netherlands Antilles--which receive not only many American visitors but many Dutch visitors as well. I am curious as to whether the dive professionals there see a huge difference in tipping standards. Do the Americans leave those huge 15%-20% tips, while the Dutch leave nothing, and everyone is satisified with it being this way? That seems crazy--the expected tip size is based on the person's nationality! I can tell you right now that my wife is going to chide me for tipping more than a token few dollars, since she almost surely will feel like the country is more Dutch than American.

I tend to tip $20 for a two-tank dive with 10-15% for a live-aboard. Sometimes I tip more if there is outstanding service. In addition, when I travel to places like Fiji, during the last dive I will basically empty my BCD pockets by giving my light and slate to the divemasters that have taken good care of me. Our groups will also donate excess baggage items (batteries, lotions, shampoo, t-shirts, even photography supplies) to local schools and villages at the end of the trip.These items are precious to those folks in distant places. We also suggest that folks take pencils (and sharpeners!), pens and paper for local schools.

. . .
Four months from now, we'll be in Fiji, where I'm told tipping is culturally discouraged. What we've been told is that the resort has a Christmas Party fund, and those that really want to tip are encouraged instead to contribute to the Christmas fund, which goes to pay for a big party for the workers and families that keep the resort going. Cultural context is pretty important in being a gracious guest in another country (and helping dispel the "Ugly American" image for those of us from the U.S.).

My first experience at a fancy dive resort was, in fact, in Fiji. If you think that "Christmas fund" means you can put a few bucks in a jar, you might be mistaken. We heard the same thing, yet at the end of the trip our group was hit up for $100 each for said Christmas fund, which we could conveniently put on our credit cards. Merry Christmas.

For suggestions in Fiji see my previous post, but, yes I always add to the Christmas Fund there. Everyone, including the maids, cooks, and office staff receive part of the fund, as well as the dive staff. As I said before, I also give the Divemasters my light and slate as gifts during the final dive.

Another question. and please, nobody jump on me for this, it is indeed just a question. When diving in a place where the local wages are considerably lower than US/European standards, does it make a difference in tipping practices if the DM is local, or someone from , for example the US? It certainly shouldnt, as service and help should (in my humble opinion) be rewarded equally, regardless where the person is from, right?
Yet, in some of your replies I have gotten the feeling that over tipping is just as bad as under tipping, for some very valid cultural reasons. Sooo, lets say the DM is from a country where tipping is encouraged and expected, but this person is now working in Egypt or Thailand. Which rules apply, what is expected?

I have gotten the feeling that over tipping is just as bad as under tipping, for some very valid cultural reasons.

Just so that you know, that is absolute nonsense!

No one who lives on tips - I don't care WHAT culture they come from, live in now, or aspire to live in - will be offended by being "over" tipped.

Near as I can tell the only people that propagate such silliness are the people who don't like to tip.

:shakehead:

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for some kind of starting point for reasonably good service. I got exactly the kind of feedback I needed.

Back
Top Bottom