Hi, it's your instructor calling....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard so many stories about the empress. Although when and what you can do on the empress is very very limited, i've heard its one of those moments you never forget. The history of the wreck must bring out so many emotions. With that said, with more experience, i will certainly dive there

I know what you mean -- I've given my card to all of Peter's students that I have worked with, and even e-mailed them, and nobody has taken me up on it. And I really LIKE diving with newbies!

The reason that I haven't gone diving with my instructor or anyone else at the LDS where I qualified is that they do mostly quarry and lake diving. No ocean, no reefs, no wrecks, no sharks, no turtles, no groupers,no eels, no rays, just some carp, catfish and bass along with some old cars, busses and airplane bodies on a mud or rock bottom and usually in cold water. The few times that they send me an advertisement/invitatiion to go somewhere with decent diving, like Florida or Mexico, their price for the trip is so out-of-sight that I lose interest immediately.

Pretty close to the same thing here. I do occaisionally dive with former students, but not often (enough):depressed:. Right now is not a good time because of the seasons changing. Most of these students won't even give cold water diving a glance :idk:& a bunch really don't care for the local quarry. I do try to balance teaching with getting some "fun dives" in. You have to, to keep your sanity :crazyeye:& not burn out.

I've heard so many stories about the empress. Although when and what you can do on the empress is very very limited, i've heard its one of those moments you never forget. The history of the wreck must bring out so many emotions. With that said, with more experience, i will certainly dive there

No worries, I do Brockville the first full week in August every year. Great diving, great people, great fun. Isnt that what diving is all about?

Dave - I would but I don't have your number nor email, and you don't live near.

I would happily dive with ya if we are ever in the same pool even though I have never trained with ya!

My LDS goes to the local quarry every other weekend for training and has an open door for anyone who wants to come out. They also travel to other dive areas within a few hours of the shop a few times a year in addition to the standard LDS dive trips. I rarely see anyone out with them unless they are participating with a class as a student or instructor. I dive the quarry almost every weekend and often meet up with the shop to dive with them or my dive group sets up in the same area as the shop.

I think part of the problem for us is that the quarry is not always the best place to dive. The colors are all shades of green and there are very few varieties of fish. Lots of fish just only about 10 different kinds. Some people get bored with it and forget why they wanted to dive in the first place. Or they only wanted to get certified for the vacation diving that they do.

Dave - I would but I don't have your number nor email, and you don't live near.

I would happily dive with ya if we are ever in the same pool even though I have never trained with ya!

You can always dive with me Sam.:D

I got a couple dives in with my instructors that I had in Florida, and now I have moved out to Japan, and not gotten any training out here to have an instructor to dive with. I think its good to do that b/c you get that little more instruction before you go out on your own.

I'd love to be able to dive with my OW instructor, but he lives in northern Florida and spends all of his time teaching rebreathers and cave diving. I have dived with my AOW instructor (also in Florida) since certification and must say she's by far my favourite dive buddy. Both of these people are independents.

On a side note, when I tried local training through an LDS, there didn't seem to be much interest in follow-up dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom