Suunto D9 and Galileo Luna opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcheney

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys:

I'm considering the D9 and the Luna, and would like some opinions about their real-world usability. Playing with them in a dive shop only takes you so far. I'm an average scuba diver, and I free dive, too. The Luna seems easy to use, but I wonder if it's going to feel too big. The D9 is a nice size, but seems a little less intuitive to use. I rented a Suunto Gekko, and didn't like it - the three-button controls were frustrating. The D9 has four. But what do I know???? I'd like to hear from people with real experience in hopes of spending my money wisely and enjoying my computer for years to come.

thanks guys,
Pete

The menus and buttons on the D9 are intuitive and easy to use. The buttons are always Select, Enter, Up, and Down. Occasionally you may have to hold one down for a few seconds. This is the easiest computer I have ever used, and I've had half a dozen at least. The compass is not practical for serious navigation, but it is adequate for the type of good-viz tropical reef dives that I do (I might not bring a compass at all if it wasn't integrated). If you are middle-aged or older, you may have trouble reading the screen--I'm getting there. But I like that it is small enough to wear as a watch (just barely, though), because I can then leave my wristwatch at home--one less thing to keep track of when I'm traveling.

Thanks Vladimir - much appreciated. Sounds like the D9 will be easier to use than the Gekko - that three-button system was a pain. My reading of the manual indicates that the D9 is better in terms of menus, etc. Out of interest, what other computers have you owned, or used extensively?

thanks again,

Pete

Hi Guys:

I'm considering the D9 and the Luna, and would like some opinions about their real-world usability. Playing with them in a dive shop only takes you so far. I'm an average scuba diver, and I free dive, too. The Luna seems easy to use, but I wonder if it's going to feel too big. The D9 is a nice size, but seems a little less intuitive to use. I rented a Suunto Gekko, and didn't like it - the three-button controls were frustrating. The D9 has four. But what do I know???? I'd like to hear from people with real experience in hopes of spending my money wisely and enjoying my computer for years to come.

thanks guys,
Pete

I have been diving with the Galileo for over a year (100+ dives) and give the computer good reviews but it is on the threashold of being too large IMO. I am a fairly big guy and must wear on my forearm instead of wrist. As of matter of fact, I have no idea how anyone can wear on wrist. I would also look at the Oceanic OC1 and Oceanic Atom series.

P.S. The Galileo's electronic compass is great if navigation comes into play with your diving. Mine? Not so much.

Thanks Vladimir - much appreciated. Sounds like the D9 will be easier to use than the Gekko - that three-button system was a pain. My reading of the manual indicates that the D9 is better in terms of menus, etc. Out of interest, what other computers have you owned, or used extensively?

thanks again,

Pete
A Dacor MicroBrain, US Divers Monitor III, an Aeris, Uwatec Air X Nitrox, Uwatec Air Z Nitrox, Uwatec Smartcom, and the Suunto D9. Not really a broad cross-section of what's out there, because most of those computers are based on the same architecture. Only the Aeris and the D9 had buttons. The rest had four contact points that you bridged with your fingers to navigate menus--a bit of a pain, but not too bad once you got used to it. I don't remember if the Aeris had one or two buttons, but it didn't have enough. It was a cheap computer that I used as a back-up, and the button shortage made it very inconvenient to use. I now use the Uwatec Smartcom as a backup to the D9, one on each wrist. The Aeris may have had a user-serviceable battery. I'm not sure--but none of the others did; not really a priority for me but a lot of people feel strongly about that. I have opted for wireless gas integration ever since it was available, but it's kind of an expensive extra that I wouldn't miss.

thank you guys - you are gentlemen and scholars.... I think the D9 is going to work for me.....I like many aspects of the Luna, but the size is a deal breaker......although I disliked the Gekko, the size was good - the D9 is in the same range, and the four-button setup will make navigation easier.....

If you haven't used Suunto computers in the past, you need to consider how liberal/conservative an algorithm you're good with.

Suunto tends to be very conservative, and I've had buddies diving D9's hit deco limits long before I was even close, diving an Aeris, which is more middle of the road.

The Luna, while larger, has both a centered algorithm, and from what I understand it's adjustable as well in that regard.

Just my $ .02

Good luck...

I have a D9 and am reasonably happy with it although I will offer a few cautions. If you are not going to get the wireless transmitter, I would look at the Suunto models that are a little less expensive. Also, as far as seeing the display while under water, I actually prefer my Suunto Mosquito. Finally, if you are going to wear it as a watch, be aware that the plastic band can wear out. A week ago, had mine disintegrate when I was taking it off to attach the expander prior to a dry suite dive. Would have been one very unhappy camper if it had lasted 30 minutes longer.

I am using the new Suunto Vyper Air with wireless transmittor. It is pretty good. Much bigger and easier to read than the D9. You can also check out their new Suunto HeLO if you go for technical diving.

If you haven't used Suunto computers in the past, you need to consider how liberal/conservative an algorithm you're good with.

Suunto tends to be very conservative, and I've had buddies diving D9's hit deco limits long before I was even close, diving an Aeris, which is more middle of the road.

The Luna, while larger, has both a centered algorithm, and from what I understand it's adjustable as well in that regard.

Suunto has among or the most conservative algorithm of all brands while Pelagic Pressure Systems (Oceanic, Aeris, et al.) has among the most liberal. Uwatec is generally considered middle of the road. To each their own, whatever you're comfortable with. Large discrepancies in NDL may become an issue depending on what your buddy (ies) may be diving with.

Good diving, good luck in your computer purchase,

Craig

Back
Top Bottom