Can you learn scuba from tv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW every man woman and child in the US now owes 345 thousand dollars in national debt and that will double in 10 years! :shocked2: I learned that on TV also! U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

Oh, who cares about the debt, you know we're just going to skip out on it anyway. Or print more money, whichever is easier. Who's going to collect the debt? Is someone going to break every man woman and child's legs unless that debt is paid? I don't think so.

I think you could with books alone if you had a great environment for practice, but any TV show dealing with this much detail would be a real snoozer

Hi just saw a movie, "Bulletproof Monk" in which some guy learned to fight (martial arts) by watching movies - he actually did it!!

Is it possible to learn to dive by, say, watching Jacques Cousteau movies? How many - one, or a whole season? Should I rent several seasons worth?

Thanks!

Bulletproof monk isn't a documentary, but a fictional movie.

Your chances of learning to dive while watching TV is nonexistent.

Is there any reason for this thread now??

Can the moderators not delete it? Kinda stupid now!

What kind of bridge do you live under? After all, isn't that where you trolls live?

Good effort, but the joke kinda falls flat if you assume the reader is too stupid to get it without an explanation.

Last edited:
I was able to get my Open Water by watching "Sea Hunt" and my Advanced Open Water watching "Flipper" Any advanced cert's via various
James Bond" movies, starting with "Thunderball" :D:shakehead::rofl3:

Re your post - you are 100% correct - the question was stupid to begin with, b/c no one could be that clueless - yet it managed to get 11 pages of responses - I put off responding for day's, finally could not take it :D!

Hi just saw a movie, "Bulletproof Monk" in which some guy learned to fight (martial arts) by watching movies - he actually did it!!

Is it possible to learn to dive by, say, watching Jacques Cousteau movies? How many - one, or a whole season? Should I rent several seasons worth?

Thanks!

Honestly, scuba diving is so easy you could probably learn by watching just one episode. Now you can learn all the finite details, but then you will become boring and start posting your 'knowledge' on scubaboard all day and probably won't get to dive very much... Have you though about just watching that reality show with Hugh Heffner, you'd probably have a lot better time if you learn from him.

Can you learn scuba from tv?

You can IMPROVE your SCUBA from tv!! Just get certified, take an old tv to the quarry, throw it in the water then recover it. Repeat until you are proficient.

Here is an important TV observation from another thread:

elmer fudd

Status
Profile InfoJoin Date: Nov 2005
Logged Dives: 50 - 99
StatsPosts: 79
Thanks Received: 18
Facts about Orcas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I decided to research killer whales a little and I figured what better source to learn from than an old 50's TV show, namely Sea Hunt-Season 1, Episode 11-Killer Whale. For those of you with a scientific bent you can check it out yourself at
Hulu - Sea Hunt: Killer Whale - Watch the full episode now.

I'll tell you, there were a lot of surprising facts in that episode. To start off with, I was shocked to learn that, "killer whales prefer warm blooded prey and often human beings." I was also surprised to learn that in all the oceans there's nothing "faster, more cunning or more savage than these killers," and that, "they often even capsize boats." It seems that, "they're known to kill anything" and that if there's a killer whale off the coast, "no skin diver or small boat is going to be safe."

In that episode the orca kills two people and attacks numerous small boats. Fortunately Lloyd Bridges finds a guy with a harpoon gun and they hunt and kill it. Whew, what a relief!

As you can all see YOU CAN learn diving from the TV!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom