Votes: 18 13.0%
  • 300 to 400 meters

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Over 400 meters

Votes: 83 60.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very strong swimmer here. Frankly, I don't think it's safe for folks who find the agency swim requirement challenging to go diving. At least not in Northern California.

Last edited:
I read the poll wrong. I voted number two, I though it read how far should one be able to swim for cert. I'm a 5 though, swam competitively since I was 6 through HS. Although I think I'd puke now if I had to a 100 yard sprint.

Very strong swimmer here. Frankly, I don't think it's safe for folks who find the agency swi
requirement challenging to go diving. At least not in Northern California.

For diving here in SoCal, a strong swimming ability is also a must. I've had to drag more than one tired diver back to the boat or shore.

What level of swimming ability (unassisted, non-timed) did you possess before taking-up SCUBA diving?

1. Non-swimmer or less than 100 meters (less than 4 lengths)

2. 100 to 200 meters (4 to 8 lengths of a 25 meter pool)

3. 200 to 300 meters (8 to 16 lengths)

4. 300 to 400 meters (16 to 20 lengths)

5. Over 400 meters (over 20 lengths)

6. Half fish.

I re-started swimming lessons this summer as I was puzzled why I was so ****. A few weeks tuition fixed my dire stroke so now I'd probably be moving, albeit slowly, to group 5. Prior to group 1 or 2 depending on how much time you'd have to wait.

Diving re-ignited my interest in swimming. I've got pretty ok finning technique so I was bother by why when using my hands and without fins I was so crap.

My wife, like so many women, is just pure and total fish. She can swim faster than you can run :)

I swum a lot over the years (and sometimes competitively) and even at my least fit I could easily swum much more than 400m. I think after a fairly long and debilitating period of illness (glandular fever) my first time back in the pool I did 1km. It has always come naturally to me (unlike diving!)

But, I've never been a fast swimmer - just one that can go for a long time, slowly. :)

I grew up in Florida and almost every other house had a pool in the back yard. Put me in #5.

I have always had a theory that weak swimmers usually make better divers than strong swimmers.

Don't tell the DIR forum.

I have always had a theory that weak swimmers usually make better divers than strong swimmers.

Thanks for your answer, but I'd really like to hear more about your opinion. Why do you suggest this? What has lead you to such a conclusion?

Back
Top Bottom