Odd weekend Jelly Fish and what happend to the Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lee3645

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So my wife and I went diving in Key Largo over the weekend. Moring started out with some rain but we decided to make the best of it. We jump in at French Reef vis about 40’ it’s our first time going off on our own so we worked our way around and made it back to the right boat at the end of our dive and the tag line is surrounded by Jelly fish. Once we get everyone back on board one of the female divers started to have severe stomach cramps so we rushed back in skipping the second dive to put her on an ambulance we never found out what happened. The dive charter offered everyone on the boat a free night dive or to go out on the afternoon dive so we opted to do the afternoon dive.
So we go out to the Benwood never been so we were looking forward to the dive. Vis is about 80’ with about a 2k current did not seem terrible. Turns out my wife and I were the only ones that stayed on the wreck and the boat had to go and pick some people up so when we came back up no boat we saw the boat off in the distance picking up the drifters so I filled up my sausage and we hung on to the ball and waited for them to come back and pick us up. Wife was a little freaked out but we kept our cool and the boat did come back.
Last dive of the day was on Molasses Reef vis was about 40’ over all great dive. Then as we headed back up to the boat the tag line was surrounded by the same type of Jelly fish from French reef. They were not there when we got in and the only seemed to be around the tag line.

Do you remember what kind of jellyfish you saw?

No idea what kind they were but this is what they looked like.
They were clear about 6” to a foot in diameter with short purple looking tentacles around the edge. They seemed very firm to the touch on the top side.

No idea what kind they were but this is what they looked like.
They were clear about 6” to a foot in diameter with short purple looking tentacles around the edge. They seemed very firm to the touch on the top side.

sounds like moon jellyfish. I find they are a little more pinkish than the picture below.

www.mentalfloss.com/.../11/435_MoonJellyfish.jpg
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/9347

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom