Cenotes around Playa del Carmen area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude - I know it is Halloween this week, but you should lay off the scary movies! :shocked2: You're imagination is really running to the absurd. :shocked2:

I am sorry if you found my question absurd. I am a former trauma nurse and have heard of stranger things happening. Please keep in mind that I have never been to a cenote, I have no expereince and no idea what the risks are and what the dangers are. That is why I am on this damn board asking more experienced people like you about them. So lighten the hell up! :idk:

Susan

I hate to say this to anybody, and I do apologize if I am being too blunt, but it seems like this might not be the right dive for you.

Don't mind to hear your opinion, but I am looking for objective info so I can decide thay for myself. Do you have a specific objective reason for what you said, in relation to something I said.

I am simply gathering facts here people. Trying to ask all the questions I can before I decide.

the fact that you seem to be asking about all the reasons, real or imaginary why you shouldn't do it (ceiling collapsing and pinning you to the bottom, running out of air, no light, claustrophobia, etc), gives me a pretty good idea... Just like anything else, if you can't find more reasons why you should do something thank why you shouldn't, then don't do it.. that's the best way to get yourself into trouble

the fact that you seem to be asking about all the reasons, real or imaginary why you shouldn't do it (ceiling collapsing and pinning you to the bottom, running out of air, no light, claustrophobia, etc), gives me a pretty good idea... Just like anything else, if you can't find more reasons why you should do something thank why you shouldn't, then don't do it.. that's the best way to get yourself into trouble

But see, that's the thing....I am trying to find out if there are any reasons I shouldn't. Does that make sense? I know I want to do it, I know that it would be an awesome experience but I want to make sure I am informed of all the risks. As already stated, I know nothing about cenotes, that is why I am here asking questions. BTW- I am not clausterphobic or I wouldn't even be thinking about cenotes, but when diving, no I don't like really tight places. That is why I asked if they are all like that or just some.

The thing is, I am asking questions and if someone yes, there is a good chance you could get snagged on things or, yes, you may get crushed by stalagtite, lol, then NO I won't go. However, if you people answer NO, those things are not issues then I know not to worry and just relax and have a good time. I am fine with risk as long as I am informed and have means of prevention.

So when you say, No, I shouldn't go. Are you saying that because you think my fears are founded or because you think I am a pussy? That is what I need to know. If you think my fears are founded then I would take that into consideration, but your opinion about me being a pussy doesn't phase me. So which is it?

Last edited:
The cenote is probably the safest environment to dive in. With a good DM to do a proper pre-dive briefing I think that you will do JUST FINE. A couple of reef dives in PDC before the cenote wil also knock off the cobwebs before you venture into the cenotes. I suggest the Dos Ojos duo of 'Barbie Line' and 'Batcave'. The Batcave gives you some surface time during the dive (near the end) to rest/relax on the surface and see the bats. Whoever you decide to dive with (op you choose), let them know in advance you had some concerns and request a detailed pre-dive briefing. I gaurantee that you will not be disappointed if you decide to see the cenotes. I had some friends that did their first cenote dives with me last July and now they can't wait to get back JUST to dive the cenotes again. Save your fears for the ocean where most of the accidents happen. The cenote dives will be the most relaxing of your vacation. I generally don't recommend any DM in particular for the cenotes as they are all certified cave divers. If you have ANY concerns whatsoever then I can tell you that Dennis from Aquanauts (owner) in Puerto Adventuras is a Canadian from Calgary and one of the BEST cave divers (AAA in safety..my opinion) in the area. e-mail or PM him directly and he can answer any questions.

Tomsuelaw, I think a lot of us are reading your questions and getting a mental image of somebody sitting, chewing their nails and jittery over the scariness of diving in a cave, and because of that, we're thinking it's not a good idea for you to do it. As I said, the biggest risk of a cenote dive (as with any dive, actually) is panic -- you can cope with virtually anything that happens if you stay calm about it. And as with most diving, nothing is likely to happen.

The cenote tours are a BIG industry in the area -- hundreds of divers do them every year, with a very good safety record. The areas where they are done have seen a lot of traffic, so in general, anything that's loose or unstable has already been dislodged. They do not take cavern tour divers through anyplace small (any passage which requires proceeding in single file is considered a restriction, and is outside of the definition of cavern) although not all of the dive will be in large rooms. It will be dark, though, although I think you'll be surprised at how much you can see with the lights of all the divers.

If you feel you can relax and enjoy the dive, by all means do it. I think the caves are the most magical thing I have ever done (and I'm headed back down next month for two more weeks in them!) but there is no shame at all in deciding that this is not for you, if it is going to cause you anxiety to try.

My wife and I did these dives. I brought two lights for myslf and my wife had a nice bright light and I had an extra light for her. I was concerned if her light went out. It did. I had a spare light in her hand in seconds. She was fine. It is an interesting dive. You will always be able to see the line that would lead you out. The viz is very good. There are no real tight places to get through. I think it is safe and worth doing at least once. I would say have a good light and a back up. It is very dark without a light. Good luck and enjoy

The cenote is probably the safest environment to dive in. With a good DM to do a proper pre-dive briefing I think that you will do JUST FINE. A couple of reef dives in PDC before the cenote wil also knock off the cobwebs before you venture into the cenotes. I suggest the Dos Ojos duo of 'Barbie Line' and 'Batcave'. The Batcave gives you some surface time during the dive (near the end) to rest/relax on the surface and see the bats. Whoever you decide to dive with (op you choose), let them know in advance you had some concerns and request a detailed pre-dive briefing. I gaurantee that you will not be disappointed if you decide to see the cenotes. I had some friends that did their first cenote dives with me last July and now they can't wait to get back JUST to dive the cenotes again. Save your fears for the ocean where most of the accidents happen. The cenote dives will be the most relaxing of your vacation. I generally don't recommend any DM in particular for the cenotes as they are all certified cave divers. If you have ANY concerns whatsoever then I can tell you that Dennis from Aquanauts (owner) in Puerto Adventuras is a Canadian from Calgary and one of the BEST cave divers (AAA in safety..my opinion) in the area. e-mail or PM him directly and he can answer any questions.

Ed, thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. A vote of confidence and a reassuring "it's not that bad, it will be fine." You get me man, you rock! Thank you for addressing my questions and easing my concerns!

I am sorry if you found my question absurd. I am a former trauma nurse and have heard of stranger things happening. Please keep in mind that I have never been to a cenote, I have no expereince and no idea what the risks are and what the dangers are. That is why I am on this damn board asking more experienced people like you about them. So lighten the hell up! :idk:

Susan

Wow.... you ask questions and we keep giving you answers, now you are calling this a "damn board" and telling me to lighten the hell up? I think you need to relax a bit and understand we are all trying to help you. As for me, I am done.

Sue,

I'm a bit late to this but here's my 2psi. I'd been to Playa area diving twice before I tried the cenotes, primarily after reading about how people here on the board were so enamored with them (TSandM being one of them!). Not having any real idea what they were like I had visions of what I had seen/read about cave diving - having to take off your gear and cram it through a small hole, 7' hoses, trying to squish myself through tight spaces, having to be very careful about not stirring up the bottom and silting out the place. But once I had read more and checked out pictures and videos I got in touch with my dive guy in Playa - Jason @ fantaseadive.com (playacountryboy here on the board) and booked Coz, Playa and cenotes. I went with Luis from Playa Scuba (Jason uses them for cenote guides) the first time to Dos Ojos and had a BLAST!

Water is wonderfully clear and although there are some smaller areas I never felt squeezed. Good (great) buoyancy is VERY important and will improve your experience immensely, but once in the water I never once thought - holy crap, how will I get out of here - I just marveled at the beauty. Luis was a great guide and we did the barbie line and the bat cave. Pictures here (mixed with some other dive pics from the trip) - Diving pictures by byteme45 - Photobucket

I was hooked, so our next trip down last June we booked pretty much the save dive setup w/ Jason - Coz, Playa and Cenotes, this time Klaus took us (again w/ Playa Scuba) and we went to Grand Cenote and Temple of Doom. My wife and a friend don't dive so they spend the day at Grand Cenote swimming and snorkeling. They had a BLAST while we drove back to Temple of Doom and dove that. Very cool experience diving through the halocline - much different than Dos Ojos. Grand Cenote was great as well, quite a bit shorter dive than any of the other three but possibly the most beautiful. More pictures and a video - Cenotes pictures by byteme45 - Photobucket

Temple of Doom and Grand Cenote dives on Vimeo

I'm a huge fan of them now and while there is obviously some risk the reward is well worth it. There is no way I see myself ever being the guy who is swimming through muck and taking gear off to fit through a hole barely big enough for me to fit through, doing cave cert, etc. However, when I started diving I was convinced I'd be a warm, clear, blue, salt water, vacation diver only. HA! I have since purchased a drysuit and routinely dive inland lakes in WI and Lake Michigan where I've been as cold as 39F and 5' vis. So, who knows - but as for the cenotes, if you watch a couple videos and get a bit of a rush, or sweaty palms, go for it. If you feel like you need to run out of your office gasping for breath...skip it!

Great advice from whoever said get in the ocean for a couple dives first to shake the rust off and get your buoyancy down. Weighting will be different because cenotes are primarily fresh water but I'm booking a cenote dive every time we're down there now. I love them! And make sure you stop on the way down and back for awesome tacos - very inexpensive and super yummy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom