If we were to move...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akmike907

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We can choose where we go, as our jobs allow us to be gainfully employed pretty much anywhere. That being said, inside the contiguous united states, where is the ultimate place to live that has the best diving and also snorkeling but isn't god-awful hot or full of cockroaches? I ride motorcycles so the longer the riding season the better also. Just probing for ideas. Thanks, Mike

I'd say "Florida" would probably have decent year-round diving, but it's going to be god-awful hot in the summer, and full of cockroaches, unfortunately. Maybe the Panhandle might be a good compromise? Or the Florida Keys?

Have you thought about California? I think the water is cooler, but I've heard the diving is awesome.

I'll put in a vote for San Diego. The water is definitely colder than in Florida, but I prefer cold water life. You're coming from Alaska, so just bring along your drysuit and you'll be happy. Kelp diving is a lot of fun! Our weather is better...by far.

Yah, but is there any snorkeling there? Is it reefy? I have to say, I've heard good things about kelp diving. We just came back from Costa Rica, and we loved the reefs. Snorkeling at will is awesome!

We can choose where we go, as our jobs allow us to be gainfully employed pretty much anywhere. That being said, inside the contiguous united states, where is the ultimate place to live that has the best diving and also snorkeling but isn't god-awful hot or full of cockroaches? I ride motorcycles so the longer the riding season the better also. Just probing for ideas. Thanks, Mike

NC coast and Calif both have great diving, but no real snorkeling. I think you are going to be hard pressed to find some place that meets all your requests. Calif water is cold but awesome, some of the best diving in the world in my opinion but it is not a cheap place to live. We go diving out there every year and love it. NC is cheaper by far, some bugs but nothing like Fla. Reefs however, are far out and deep, but tons of WWII wrecks and sharks. :D I would pick one of those two places.

Florida does have diving and snorkeling but very hot 1/2 of the year and tons of bugs, spiders, and snakes, too. (I know because I lived there for 10yrs, go Gators!)

To me, the best place to live is near a great international airport which is close to some good diving to do in between trips out of country. :D

robin:D

I'd say "Florida" would probably have decent year-round diving, but it's going to be god-awful hot in the summer, and full of cockroaches, unfortunately. Maybe the Panhandle might be a good compromise? Or the Florida Keys?

Have you thought about California? I think the water is cooler, but I've heard the diving is awesome.

Well, there isn't great snorkling here in the panhandle. Roaches aren't a problem if you keep your house clean. As for the heat-that depends on how you define 'god-awful'. Cost of living is low compared to either the Keys or Cali. Most of your dives here will be wreck dives in 60-90 ft of water. It still gets cold (relatively) in the winter so a good 3/2 might be in order.

:D

It doesn't really exist.

This is why we have the Caribbean.

Split the difference. Expat in a country that has your requirements during the US winter season. Costa Rica, Mexico, Belize, Honduras, DR, etc. Then when it gets 'god-awful-hot' in your country of choice just return to the US.

It really is okay to be a snow-bird in a foreign country. Many do it that way. Job portability is great, but make sure that you can use your skills in that country. Some countries will prohibit you from working, some will require a work visa. And depending on what you do for a living, you may have to consider forming an LLC with roots maintained outside of your host country.

Since you went to Costa Rica, you probably saw a great many Americano's that are doing just that. A few of the dive shops/ops there a US owned and operated. There is also an area on the west coast up near the Papaguyo region that has a very large Expat area.

It's doable, but ya gotta have your ducks in a row whether it's a transportable business or a transportable working position.

Yah, but is there any snorkeling there? Is it reefy?
As others have written, San Diego really isn't known as a snorkeling destination. I snorkel 2-3 times a month from spring to fall. In the summer months, it's pretty neat to see the leopard sharks by the Marine Room or check out the caves in between La Jolla Cove and La Jolla Shores. There are lots of friendly seals in the vicinity. It's nothing like a tropical reef, though. If you're expecting 100 ft vis, warm water, and lots of coral, then prepare to be disappointed by San Diego.

Good luck with your decision...

As others have written, San Diego really isn't known as a snorkeling destination. I snorkel 2-3 times a month from spring to fall. In the summer months, it's pretty neat to see the leopard sharks by the Marine Room or check out the caves in between La Jolla Cove and La Jolla Shores. There are lots of friendly seals in the vicinity. It's nothing like a tropical reef, though. If you're expecting 100 ft vis, warm water, and lots of coral, then prepare to be disappointed by San Diego.

Good luck with your decision...

The SF Bay Area would seem to meet most of the OP's requirements. Pt. Lobos/Carmel Bay south of Monterey does get 100'+ vis some days, although less is normal; I've personally experienced from 4" to 100', with 15'-20' probably being a good yearly average for Monterey, more for Carmel. I agree that snorkeling here would be nothing like a tropical destination, but you can certainly do it (fast, to stay warm:D) -- surface water temps range from 50-59 or so, bottom temps from maybe 44-57. The best vis is usually in fall/early winter. There's a fair number of spearfishermen, and people go up to the north coast for AB diving (free only) in season.

As noted the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area is very high (but you can buy a house now for a price that could only be dreamed about a couple of years ago). 1-2 hours driving south to Monterey/Carmel for diving, 2.5-4 hours east for skiing, and motorcycling/bicycling somewhere pretty much year round (in between winter storms). When winter temps drop below freezing it's a semi-big deal (cover your plants!), as is 90+ or 100+ depending on where you live; the Bay Area is nothing but microclimates. Move half a mile and you might as well be in another climate zone.

Temps will be lower than Southern California, and as Mark Twain once said, the coldest winter he ever experienced was a summer he spent in San Francisco:D I live on the eastern side of the bay about mid-way up it, west of the hills, and I find the climate to be nearly ideal; but I'd freeze in the fog in SF or the Peninsula, and broil east of the hills, in San Jose or parts of the North Bay. Pretty much, you can pick your comfort zone. Max. temp range is about 95 degrees (say 20 to 115), with a smaller spread the closer you are to the bay or the ocean: about 30-105 where I live; highs below 50 or above 85 are out of the ordinary; temps below 35 or above 90 are unusual.

HTH,

Guy (East Bay Native)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom