Off-Shore Spring, South of Hudson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boats

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys and gals!

My parents were on on their boat, and stumbled a across a fresh water spring out in the Gulf of Mexico.

It's located roughly SOUTH of Port Hudson, about 15 minutes.

When the tide is out, dad can't reach the spring. The water, is just WAY low. When the tide is in, he draws about 4 feet of water. Lots of fish around the spring, but it's not marked.

Has anyone heard of this? OR, stumbled across this spot? From the surface, the springs circumferance looks to be 30 or 40 feet around.

*IT may not be a spring, IMHO, but maybe a sink hole? He's just been calling it a spring*

Thanks!

The only one I'm familiar with is just north of klosterman entrance a couple of hundred yards off the shore. 20 or so feet deep and 30 to 40 feet in diameter. There's a sunken boat and a head sized spring opening. After a lot of rain you can see the boil on the surface. Also it's in the flats so the water is shallow.

The only one I'm familiar with is just north of klosterman entrance a couple of hundred yards off the shore. 20 or so feet deep and 30 to 40 feet in diameter. There's a sunken boat and a head sized spring opening. After a lot of rain you can see the boil on the surface. Also it's in the flats so the water is shallow.

Yep same here. This is the one I know of too. I can get to it on my 30' but only did it once as there is not alot there to see.... but I thought it was farther south. only been there by boat but I was thinking it was off of crystal beach. I could be wrong I guess. I am sure it is the same one as the boat and small opening coenside with the one I am thinking of.

Im heading over to snorkle the spring on Thursday, I'll follow up with a post and any pics I can get.

Dad keeps telling me, "LOTS OF FISH".

It's exaclty a mile and half out of Hudson Harbor. I looked the GPS this evening.

Thanks for feedback folks! AS always!

I've heard of it. Yet, never been there. The following is what I found and summarizes what I heard:

JEWFISH SPRING -- (N28° 25.76' W82° 42.53') This was Jack Dempsey and Babe Ruth’s fishing and drinking hole ½ mi. in the Gulf, off Fillman’s Bayou, just S. of their fishing camp hideaway in Aripeka. It is loaded with all kinds of fish. The spring is 209 feet deep, and has a sharp thermalcline at 50 feet that is unbelievable, at 58 degrees. This is not a dive for the unwary or inexperienced!

For more info on local sites:
WEST CENTRAL FLORIDA SITES
ssshhh......our secret.

THAT is awesome! I wonder if that's pretty cool.

THANKS!

Well, then it's NOT really THAT much of a secret. But, I did snorkel it and it was way cool! LOTS of fish.

Had a little shark swimming around me, it was cute!

Sounds like you were at heart spring, so named for it's shape. There are other holes along the coast as well as some inland. They can be very dangerous. Jewfish hole is less than spectacular, unless you like deep dark scary places. I only made it down about 20 feet when I turned chicken and left. My buddy went a little deeper into the dark and felt something brush his leg, he got a rush of adrenaline and got the heck out. Then he realized the something was the fish on his stringer and we all had a good laugh, but agreed this was not the place for us. I believe the flow to this one stopped way back in the 50's or 60's. There was a guy that did a bunch of research there as well as some other local spots. There are some other holes and such all over the place, but the close to shore ones can be seen from space (hint on locating more) I will p.m. with aerial

Going to dive heart spring tommorow will keep you advised of the conditions looks pretty cool but boy sure seems shallow out around it. hope we can make it in.

Just got back from heart spring. Quite a few fish around the opening and in the grasses around the hole. Now many keepers sort of on the small side saw one good sized grouper hiding in a side hole. Going in its ok but only about 4 to 5 feet vis once inside. Temp drops really quick once you get to about 40-45 feet and there is a sulfide layer around 50. Below that things get really dark quickly lost site of the opening at 85 feet and decided to cold with not much to see so called it quits. A couple guide ropes and lots of debrise floating in the water. Interesting to see once but the 800 dollar prop that the trip ate makes it a one hit wonder for me.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom