Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not divng today, but did a night dive at Ponquogue Bridge (Southampton, NY) last night which also finished my Drift diver certification. It was also my third dive in my new drysuit

Just got back from heart spring Offshore of Hudson Florida. Quite a few fish around the opening and in the grasses around the hole. Not many keepers sort of on the small side saw one good sized grouper hiding in a side hole. Going in its ok but only about 4 to 5 feet vis once inside. Temp drops really quick once you get to about 40-45 feet and there is a sulfide layer around 50. Below that things get really dark quickly lost site of the opening at 85 feet and decided to cold with not much to see so called it quits. A couple guide ropes and lots of debrise floating in the water. Interesting to see once but the 800 dollar prop that the trip ate makes it a one hit wonder for me.

First in my pool for a little finning practice then in our murky front pond!!! I would never have believe 4' of water could be this much fun... this will now be a Halloween tradition! Next year should be even better.... look for Demon from the black lagoon if you want to see just how demented I am!

Fortune Pond in Michigan's UP.

Air temp -- 34F with snow flurries and wind
Water temp -- 50F at 70ffw
Viz - 60+ feet

My first time there, and I loved it!

South Jetty - Yaquina Bay, Newport/South Beach, Oregon

4th & 5th finger - lots of surge, waves rolling in. It was fun, but vis was terrible 2-5 feet. So we moved in a little ...

3rd finger - still surge, but vis improve, 5-7 feet. Went in on West side of 3rd, when we got to the end of the finger, tide was beginning to flow out a bit, but we fought it and made it around the tip and then on the East side towards the Jetty. No surge and better vis here. We did end up getting swept over the finger and back towards the ocean and we dropped down again and went out to the tip and back again - almost racing !!!! You could almost hear us "whooping it up" underwater!!!

Neat little lake in Southern Germany, maybe 80km south of Frankfurt.

10°C, 13m max, 58 min. One giant pike fish and lots of the usual sweetwater fish. Sweetwater crab.

Visibility was 4-6m, but dropped to zilch below 13m, didn't want to go there..

A few pics from warmer days are here:
Erholungsanlage St. Leoner See: Diving

Tomorrow we'll go again!

Sugar Pine Reservor: AKA Frozen Tundra in California!

I was finishing 3 specialty classes today [UW Photography leve 2, Altitude, and Peak Buoyancy] ... what does that say? LOL

It was a Fresh Friggin' Fridgid Reservor [sheeeesh] In the Tahoe National Forest! TRying to finally complete these classes was complicated but instructor had a small window to get it done. We drove "forever" to a lake neither of us had been to only to find it cold, dark, and devoid! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Now my "sissy" dive gear is warm water [both BC and Reg].. after freezing on a short dive at 42-43 degrees with my regulator breathing like a straw after a couple of minutes.. I must have hit a thermocline. My computer logged the last 45 seconds at 39 degrees [oh yeah, did I menting I dive wet as well?] .. anyway instructor motions to ascend [for further photo instruction] and my BD totally blows!

It is a Pearl i3 ... and the toggle just froze! emptied half a tank in a minute as the air freeflowed THRU the BC and was blowing all vents! Can you say rocket to Mars? Needless to say.. between equipment and chattering like wind up teeth we hauled my frozen fanny to shore. When they say it is rated for 60 degrees and above "believe them" when they say ...Should be safe to 50 degrees but risky "believe them... when they say don't expose to temps BELOW 50 .. "They mean it" ....

I get the van loaded.. praying for the heater to revive me.. about 4 miles from the lake my heater dies! .... now I'm REALLY wet, REALLY cold and REALLY happy to be going home!

Did my first two post-class cave dives today at Peacock Springs, FL.

First dive was Peacock 1 to Olson Spring and back ... max depth 66 feet, total time 86 minutes.

Second dive was down the Peanut Tunnel to nearly the end of the mainline (turned at about p1650) ... max depth 53 feet, total time 88 minutes.

Lovely dives ... the vis is a lot better than when I was here for training in August.

Today I'll be doing my first dives in Orange Grove.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom