Video Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vinnie

Registered
Reaction score
I everyone,
I'm researching video camera housings, and I'm wandering what everyone uses, and what you suggest. Any info would be great.
Thanks, V

I have a USVH housing and love it.

You WILL want the rear video monitor. Trust me on this - you will want it. Did I say you'll want it yet? :D

Make sure you compare apples to apples. Without the rear video monitor you can fnid housings that are much cheaper. But if you decide you DO want the monitor after the fact, some housings can't support it! So if you decide to "try before you buy" on that feature, make sure you can add it after the fact!

Much depends on your camcorder. If its not a Sony with a LANC plug then you're limited to mechanical housings; if that is the case I'd certainly be looking at Ikelite; they're probably the most mature in that area (and I love the still housing I have for my Oly5050 made by them)

It depends on which camera you have and how much experience you have with shooting U/W video. Mechanical controls are a little more "clunky" but Ikelite and Gates both make good housings, electronic controls are a little smoother and in the case of Light & Motion there are not penetrations through the housing the switches are magnetic and extremely reliable. They have some of the best optics, and The Monitor back as mentioned above. If your shooting close up and macro I reccomend a tripod from Ultralight ULCS.com ask for terry. I've never been very impressed with Amphibico but some like them. Lighting- if you can go HID, do it- Make sure whichever housing you get the color correction filter is internal and flip up instead of an external that presses over your lens. And unles you want to buy another housing in a year or two be sure that the housing can control all the functions you will be usiing. Power, record, zoom, auto/man focus, white balance etc. Go with Light & Motion either a Stingray or Blue Fin or if you have a small camera try their Mako, HID lights and a tripod from Ultralight you'll be set for a long time

Vinnie:
I everyone,
I'm researching video camera housings, and I'm wandering what everyone uses, and what you suggest. Any info would be great.
Thanks, V

Hi Vinnie,

Like Genesis, I also use a USVH housing and love it. As stated by Genesis, get the rear monitor. In addition to Sony's with a LANC connection, I'm also pretty sure they support Canon's with LANC adapters.

Jeff

I'm using an Amphibico VH1000 for my Sony VX1000. I was able to purchase both of them used at a good price. I don't have much experience with it as yet, but I like the ease of operation underwater and I like the way in which it swims. The housing does not seem to have much drag and is only a few grams negative so it is easy to manipulate, but gently falls out of the way if you need it to.

So far the footage has been quite good considering the operator. My experience with Amphibico has been very good. Techs are helpful over the phone.

Jerry

I am using the Light & Motion Mako with the Sony PC100 and absolutely love it! It is quite a bit more expesive than most of the others, But I feel the Electronic controls at your fingers makes it worth it.

I have used the Gates, Sea & Sea and Ikelite housings as well and they serve their purpose and definately get the job done. Like mentioned before, sometimes it is easier to pick the camera you plan on using and then shop for Housings (Unless the camera is obscure or not one of the major comsumer models).

Love, love, love Light & Motion. My only wish is that i sprang for th ehigher-end housing that allows for white balance control. Otherwise, I'm 110% happy with it. Taken it in 34-degree water and taken it in 82-degree water with no difference in functions.

Back
Top Bottom