Hi from Orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings everyone. . . I am looking to get into diving, 26 years old. I have my PADI certification open water dives on Nov. 7th and 8th at Lake Denton in FL. Anyone been there? Supposed to be some curious blue gills and bass. Really looking foward to testing out the gear I got (see my profile) and getting comfortable with diving. I eventually want to do some saltwater stuff around FL, heard that West Palm and Key Largo are pretty good (Found out that the closest official dive spot to me is at the Living Seas at Epcot, has anyone done this?)

Look forward to meeting some other Florida divers and appreciate any advice I can get!

-Joe (CosmoKramerOfTheDeep)

Thanks

Denton is mostly used for training dives. There are some guidelines that lead out to some sunken boats, and a hulahoop or 3 for some buoyancy drills. It's a sand bottom, but is covered with a layer of umm "silt" So if you are spending time on your knees try not to move around too too much. The visability can degrade rather quickly. But all in all it is a good fun place to get though the dives.

As mentioned, the Florida board is the place to get more info on these things. You'll find a bunch of posts on the living seas, and yes it is worth the money to see it at least once. It's a lot of fun. And if you can get together with a group and get the discount, that's even better.

Good luck and welcome to the board...

Yeah I read a thread last night all about Lake Denton where it talked about all the different nav courses and sunken boats and muppet babies. Sounds like the dreams I have when I drink too much and wake up switching between PBS and the discovery channel, but I'm sure I'll be OK. Seems like the living seas has been importing quite a bit of fish recently so I would imagine that is an opportunity to see stuff you wouldn't normally around the FL coasts. I actually used to work as a travel agent for Disney so I may be able to hook up a good discount from some of my old buddies.

Really looking forward to my checkout dives this weekend, I haven't gotten to use any of my gear yet so it should be educational. . . Thanks for the welcome!

" . . But Steve, I'm not even that strong a swimmer! . . . . The answer's yes."
-Ned Plimpton (Kingsley Zissou)

"Well it's got to be. I'll order you a red cap and speedo, Cut."
-Steve Zissou

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom