Night divers unite!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had the privilege of accompanying a new diver and her son on her first and his fourth night dive. It was a full moon on Halloween. I love to night dive but it was so much more rewarding being out with them. It was fun to play with the bioluminecence and to see how the usual fishy suspects behaved differently at night.

I will take night over almost any other kind of diving.

I do my diving After Dark. Here RI, MA the vis is 10' on a good day. A dive light has a 3' - 6' beam max. So at night you can see forever! Also bringing the color back to the seascape makes finding subjects for pictures easy. In RI night diving for bugs is legal with a license too so it just sweetens the dive!

Ok so having 8 dives under my belt lol I have been presented with many opportunities to go and try night diving. I know I am not certified for night diving yet but the people at my LDS tell me we can use that dive towards getting certified. I guess my question to all the night divers out there is how was your first time going down during night time? I would love to hear of those who when they tried it were shaking in their fins :( because that would most certainly be me. Tell me how did it feel jumping in and how things looked. Also any worries about running into something down there or getting disoriented.

I have gone in a cavern before and have used lights but nothing close to being out on a boat in the middle of the ocean in the pitch black sea lolol

Tell me things I would need to keep in mind that you have learned from night diving.

Thanks in advance for all the great advice SB members! :)

Well, I was in an advanced dive class, and really didn't want to jump out of the boat into the dark water. However, peer pressure set in, and I did the giant stride off the back of the boat with the rest of them. It was an awesome experience, and I love it.

I would advise going to a spot you've dove on before. Also, my personal choice is a smallish light. I've dove with what I refer to as a car headlight (borrowed huge lantern), and it wasn't fun to me. It ruined my night vision, and took away from the experience, YRMV. I would advise two lights (in case one has problems) and some kind of cyalume stick to attach to your tank valve.

Back
Top Bottom