Should I service my octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Umm, schedule is based on use, or should be. Unless something is not working properly. If you want to understand why I ignore manufactures recommendations, see my previous post.

TDL (Tech Diving Limited) has an online service option, I think it's about $55 for 1st, second, and octo/backup. Scubatoys has a similar online offering, and I'm betting a lot of other internet shops do so as well.

Even with shipping costs it's still much less expensive as our LDS now charges something like $120 for a reg service. :shakehead:

I've pulled apart a second, and there is not much there. I need to learn how to do this myself as I can not imagine it is difficult.

You are being ripped off, plain and simple.
The high end of reg service is in the $35 per stage range and parts for most AL octos are cheap. In reality there is 1 -$0.10 part than needs to be replaced in most octs, the LP seat (and a good many primarys as well) and 2 $0.10 Orings, one on the hose and the other on the orifice if it even has one. The other part that on occasion needs replacing is the exhaust valve, maybe a $2 part at most. Many rebuild kits no longer include these because they rarely need replacing, granted most way over charge for these parts. I just looked at a site I know that sells AL rebuild kits- a little over $10 for a second stage kit- with no exhaust valve.

Ron, a good tech can rebuild a standard octo in 5 minutes or less assuming it's not trashed and does not need extensive cleaning. If you install the needed parts the rebuild cost is less than $1, even using the offical rebuild kits it's less than $15.

You are being ripped off, plain and simple.
The high end of reg service is in the $35 per stage range and parts for most AL octos are cheap. In reality there is 1 -$0.10 part than needs to be replaced in most octs, the LP seat (and a good many primarys as well) and 2 $0.10 Orings, one on the hose and the other on the orifice if it even has one. The other part that on occasion needs replacing is the exhaust valve, maybe a $2 part at most. Many rebuild kits no longer include these because they rarely need replacing, granted most way over charge for these parts. I just looked at a site I know that sells AL rebuild kits- a little over $10 for a second stage kit- with no exhaust valve.

Ron, a good tech can rebuild a standard octo in 5 minutes or less assuming it's not trashed and does not need extensive cleaning. If you install the needed parts the rebuild cost is less than $1, even using the offical rebuild kits it's less than $15.

I make my own LP seats at a cost of about $0.01 each. Mfgr costs for the components of the entire kit for most unbalanced 2nd is about $0.10.

In defense of good service techs everywhere, anything that comes in to a good service facility should get completely disassembled and cleaned, all the parts that come in the factory service kit should be changed, as well as any others that are damaged. The reg is then reassembled tested and adjusted.

Even ignoring parts cost, this takes a lot longer than 5 minutes.

Terry

this why i liked the idea of having the same brand for the reg setup ..easier to service and same schedule.

Not a bad idea in a case like this.

Don't service the octo this year.

Replace it with an Atomic octo or SS1 next year when you have the Atomic serviced.

Then both will be on the same every other year/300 dives service schedule after that.

In defense of good service techs everywhere, anything that comes in to a good service facility should get completely disassembled and cleaned, all the parts that come in the factory service kit should be changed, as well as any others that are damaged. The reg is then reassembled tested and adjusted.

Terry

I totally agree, you are paying for the kit and the service. A complete reg overhaul- all 3 stages done properly takes a good bit more time but just one simple second stage in reasonble condition, which is what we are discussing, 5 minutes is plenty of time, esp an octo since it does not really require a lot of tuning.

Maybe I am slow and don't understand why everyone has their panties twisted up...

The OP has an Aqualung Octo, I thought the factory requirement for year 1 service is a simple clean. No parts. No tune, just clean. They do spec a rebuild on even years only. The OP already past his 1 year anniversary, so the part-for-life gimmick is dead. Seems like a non-issue.

Am I missing something?

You are right $60-$70 for just an octo is high. Check around it should be about 1/2 that. If you took the whole reg in they might have done the whole thing

Terry

Well I was a little wrong. Just so happened I had a AL octo on the bench that needed service so I got out the kit and the stopwatch. It took 7 minutes for a full rebuild- octo only, 10 if you include the 3 minutes it was in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Well I was a little wrong. Just so happened I had a AL octo on the bench that needed service so I got out the kit and the stopwatch. It took 7 minutes for a full rebuild- octo only, 10 if you include the 3 minutes it was in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Which AL octo did you service? Any hints on working with the ABS (flat-style) octo? I've got a couple of those in my dive closet that are probably in need of an overhaul...

Back
Top Bottom