New diver here!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onefastpony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

Just got certified in mid October, went to Jamaica at the end of Oct and did 10 dives while I was there. Not the best reefs when compared to the Keys', but for a new diver it was awesome, now I am definetely hooked. I live in Wimauma, which is about an hour from Venice and was wanting to do some shore diving. I have been reading the posts on here and it just makes economical cents!! The questions that I have are where should I start my shore diving, what tips do you have for first time shore diving, and how far from the shore do you have to go to be at about 20'. Also what is the usual vis there. I know alot of you divers like to find the shark teeth but I was thinking about doing some underwater metal detecting, also any advice on that. I know it is alot but any answers or tips would be appreciated. Hopefully I can get to dive with some of you guys.

Chris

Look at the two "sticky" threads just above your thread. One is ReefGuy's Venice Fossil Diving Guide and the other is Insider Info and Directions to Venice Beaches. I think they will answer most of your questions. If not post some more specifics and I'm sure someone will try to answer them. Also, the Dive Reports will give you some idea of how much the viz varies. It's a fun and easy place to dive.

Welcome to the Board!! Ditto what thegulfer said. I'm a kayak diver who is there most weekends so I'm sure we'll meet up. The nice thing about the venice area is that it has a little bit of everything from sharks teeth to artifical reefs as well as some small natural reefs. I won't be there this weekend cuz of a softball tournament but I don't think the vis is going to cooperate anyway. We'll see what the next weekend holds.:)

My GF and I are going there tomorrow late morning. I'm hoping the viz isn't too bad. She is recently certified herself. I've been to the main beach 10-15 times or so, but never to Caspersen Beach or Alahara (I may be mispronouncing it) or Service Beach. Can anyone give me solid information on Caspersen? How far out to go, if it's worth it, etc...

Thanks.

you might want to check the forecast, looks like tropica depression Ida is supposed to be making the inland waters with a 3-5' chop, at least that is what bay news9 said during the evening forecast. Once the weather clears i am definetly going there.

From NOAA

GMZ850-853-856-070500-
TARPON SPRINGS TO SUWANNEE RIVER OUT 20 NM-
ENGLEWOOD TO TARPON SPRINGS OUT 20 NM-
BONITA BEACH TO ENGLEWOOD OUT 20 NM-
325 PM EST FRI NOV 6 2009

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON

TONIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. BAY
AND INLAND WATERS CHOPPY.

SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY
EAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6
FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SPRINKLES
ON SUNDAY.

SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS.
SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS CHOPPY.

TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS. SEAS
5 TO 7 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS.

WEDNESDAY
EAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS CHOPPY. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND A SLIGHT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS.

The weather forcast is only if you're diving off a boat. Any other dive sit is ok to go to. If the viz is bad, there are still good restaurants with cold beer.

This is lesson #1 for all newly certified divers.

Pony; Venice has a lil reef there and about an hour northish is Anna Maria where you can do Spanish Rocks. About a hundred or so yards out will get you to the reef. :)

OK. Went to Venice beach today. We got in about 11am, 64 minute dive. The viz was about 3-4 feet, which is really good for Venice Beach. We found a few nice teeth, only went out to 17ft deep. We went about 50 yards south of the lifeguard stand south of the pavillion. I hadn't realized those 4ft tall squarish rocks before, is that part of the artificial reef?
I want to try Service Club Beach next time. We looked at it after our dive and it looks nice, anyone have a comparison?

OK. Went to Venice beach today. We got in about 11am, 64 minute dive. The viz was about 3-4 feet, which is really good for Venice Beach. We found a few nice teeth, only went out to 17ft deep. We went about 50 yards south of the lifeguard stand south of the pavillion. I hadn't realized those 4ft tall squarish rocks before, is that part of the artificial reef?
I want to try Service Club Beach next time. We looked at it after our dive and it looks nice, anyone have a comparison?

Yes the blocks are part of the reef.

Any pics of your finds?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom