Where to carry my knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SolarStorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok real newbie question here. Just got lots of cool new stuff

Excursion BCD
Delta 4 Reg
Atom 2.0 computer

AND

A titanium blunt tip knife (total length is 11" in the scabard) (bonus item for buying so much stuff)

I also have an underwater camera with an arm band case. I found the arm band very convienient for snorkelling so one arm is used up.

My question is where do you carry the knife? It has 2 straps and the knife locks in nice so Im not worried if it is mounted upside down.

In the movies you see them mounted to the shin. I have read people have them mounted to thier BCD (but honestly cant see where without it getting in the way)

Do you even need to carry one? I know snorkelling there are a couple of times I wish I would have had something, but that was for more "digging in the sand" type of stuff.

Should I be looking at getting a smaller knife or multi tool?

Excursion BCD
Delta 4 Reg
Atom 2.0 computer
A titanium blunt tip knife
I also have an underwater camera

Holy smoke! Nice toys -- do y'wanna adopt a daughter?!? :D

My knife has been handy as a screwdriver . . . never been caught in fishline, so I am sure I'll want it!

As far as wearing it on the calf - if it is on the inside, you might rub against your other leg. On the outside, you might snag on equipment. I wear mine on the front of the inside.

Hope you find your comfortable place. :)

actually got one. bought her the same rig, but a hera bcd. She said it felt more comfortable :)

That size knife, if you feel you need one, is best worn on the inside of the calf. Never had it interfere with my other leg. It is too big for an arm of BC. I always have a small BC sized knife on my BC and usually carry a pair of shears as well which often can work better for cutting things like line.

As fas as digging in the sand - not considered a responsible idea by most folks. Like touching coral - a definite no-no. The knife is a tool rather than a weapon of course.

Like BonaireDan my wife and I each have a small BCD knife and dive shears. The one time my wife got hung up in balled fishing line in a kelp forest, she was able to calmly extract herself without use of either.

Our big dive knives are cool looking, but they just gather dust on the equipment shelf. Hey, at least you didn't PAY for yours!

That could be why they threw it in with the package? Trouble selling it?

Another vote for strapping it to you calf. You may also want to get a pair of emt shears (attach the sheath to your BC) and carry a smaller knife in your BC's waistband. This way one is always within reach in case of an entanglement.

No need for big knives.

A small BC knife is the way to go, it can be worn in numerous configurations including on a regulator hose, or as I do, right on the waist band so it's accessible to cut free of an entanglement which is about the only time I could think that it would ever be needed. I find shears to be much easier to use and will cut through monofilament line as well as your own reel line if necessary, much faster and more efficiently than a knife. My knife is on my waistband just off center to the right, and the shears are to the left, both readily accessible.

Large knife on the inside of the calf opposite of your dominant hand (left calf for right-handers). I would recommend a smaller knife or shears strapped to or in a sturdy pocket of your bc. And congrats!

I use one of the classic 12in in the scabbard Rambo knife which i strap to my inner shin, I find that here it does not interfere with my other leg and on the inner part of the shin its less likely to get hooked on anything.

I find that a big knife works well with 5mm 3 finger gloves

Back
Top Bottom