SEI Master Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Could someone tell me what this course is like, what is covered, what dives are done, etc. I don't wish to start a 'this is better then that' debate but I have heard good things about NAUI Master Diver. I wanted to know if this rating is built on the same philosophy.

I am at work now so I can't get into details but yes it is in the same vein as the NAUI master diver course. It is essentially the DM\AI without the teaching component . Plus there are skin and free diving skills. A lot of Dive theory . The instructor is as well free to add to the course. I will put full requirements up when I get home

The SEI Diving Master Diver Course is indeed a separate course. Pre reqs include: AOW,DRAM rescue or approved rescue course, one SEI Diving specialty such as Search and Recovery/Public Safety, Drysuit, Ice, or other SEI Diving Specialty, First Aid, CPR, AED, O2 provider certs. Most instructors will also require a minimum number of dives and level of skill proficiency before you can take the course.

In addition the following classroom material is covered-
Advanced tables and decompression planning
Accident Management
Physics Theory
Diving Physiology Theory
Equipment Mechanics
Medical Aspects
Environmental Awareness

Course shall include at least 10 dives with two dives to 100 feet, 2 in full wetsuit or drysuit,2 night or limited visibility, dives in fresh and salt water.

OW performance test-200 yds swim without stopping at end of swim surface dive to 10 feet, recover 3lb object, hold at surface for 2 minutes.
Hold breath under water for 20 seconds,surface for 10 seconds and repeat
With skin diving gear and weights swim 400 yds and surface dive to 30 feet
With scuba gear and weights swim 300 yds on surface breathing thru snorkel
Simulate rescue of diver from 50 feet depth and hold at surface for 2 minutes
Descend to 80-100 feet and remove and replace mask, remove and replace regulator, receive and interpret hand signals
Swim on scuba at least 25 yds at 20 feet without mask
Navigational Techniques- 3 leg course, each leg 100 feet long, return to within 20 feet of start point
Plan and execute a simulated decompression dive, Do not exceed NDL's but remain at stops for time required by plan. ( this is a simulation only to get practice in using and holding stops)

There is a minimum 100 question test covering all aspects of diving from OW thru this course and it may include any subject covered during any previous classes.

On a personal note. I would require a min of 25 dives outside of any class/training dives prior to starting this course. Divers would also be required to possess demo quality basic skills (doing them kneeling does not count!). Each classroom session would last around 2 hours for each subject. These are the BASIC guidelines for this course. Again realize that instructors would be free to add any other requirements they would see fit to benefit the student.

Yeah it's a good one. If you look at the prereqs you'll see that it actually requires a fair amount of actual diving outside of class. It is not for everyone. Isn't meant to be. It's for those who truly want to expand their skills and knowledge but not necessarily teach diving or even assist with classes.

What is the purpose of this particular part - With skin diving gear and weights swim 400 yds and surface dive to 30 feet?

Never seen a free dive portion in any training before.

SEI Diving believes that free diving skills are an integral part of scuba training and greatly add to diver comfort, confidence, and safety. We introduce basic free diving skills in OW class. The 400 yd swim in my mind would be something that COULD happen in a rescue scenario where snorkelers were being used as spotters. Being able to dive to 30 feet could aid in recovery of the missing diver. Or it could be used to locate a missing object. Or for those who wished to persue spear fishing without scuba while on a dive trip. The Master Diver Rating is not reserved for scuba skills alone. The title Master Diver should indicate that the person has knowledge and experience in all types of recreational diving- including free diving.

Just as an aside Jack, you may want to secure that console and octo in your profile pic:D. Free diving also reinforces the idea of streamlining your gear.:wink:

So,,,,If I take this class can I be assured the instructor who teaches it can do all the required swimming? I live near Dayton, Ohio, who can I get to take this class from?

Those are good skills to have, I find it interesting to see the free diving skills mixed with SCUBA skills. Do you recommend people assisting with rescuing while snorkeling dive down to assist with diver recovery? Given my limited experience in rescue situations this seems incredibly risky for the free diver due to potential panic response...

Good skills to know though, and definitely food for thought.

As for your comment about my gauges - it made me laugh and turn red once I realized what pic you meant. My pride tells me to replace that with a newer pic (if you look closely it is a rental bcd), but it is a good reminder of where I came from. Embarrassing though. :)

So,,,,If I take this class can I be assured the instructor who teaches it can do all the required swimming? I live near Dayton, Ohio, who can I get to take this class from?

Bryan, you have an instructor in Piqua. An instructor trainer in fact. Pm ing his info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom