DUI Turbo soles getting to much air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5.4 crimper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am new to dry diving but I got the hang of it right off, accept, I get to much air in my Turbo soles. I'm fine just cruising around but when I'm head down in a decent or scrounging around in a tight spot where I have to get head down, my fins (bio's with spring straps) get loose from air moving in. I know we should do feet first decents or at least feet lower than the rest of our body, but I want to be able to be head down whenever I want and still have secure fins. Soooo.....does anybody have a fix. oh and by the way my suit is a Signature Series 50/50 and fits great. I have read that Gaiters and or Fin Keepers would do the trick, and I havn't tried either yet. I know I will get better as i dive dry more, but inverted is inverted and air will go to the highest point. Help!

I've a friend that uses Fin keepers and they should work fine for you.

I may switch to Rock boots eventually but I'm stuck with the Turbo soles for now. I just want a quick fix for the Turbo soles. Thanks for the replies.

I use finkeepers on mine -- they work well.

the only time this happened to me, my valve was slowly putting in more air. are you otherwise happy with the size of your bubble? because my thought is maybe you're carrying more air in the suit than you need.

of course it happened to me in the gallery, so i was flopping around like a major dork trying to vent & get my feet back in my turbosoles & fins...thank goodness it wasn't in a tight section!

I'm pretty happy with the size of the bubble in the suit. I think all skills could surely improve with more diving though. I did a test and the bubble was about to forearm elbow, and had a comfortable sqeeze. The real question is, is that of being in a head down position and getting air in your feet. I'm not talking blowing you fins off, just like there flopping around a bit, enough so that kicking is way worthless. I just talked to tech/caver that has been using turbo soles for years and said they used gaiters since the begining. I think everyone at Halcyon uses Turbo soles too. Guess I could ask them also.

I wouldn't trade turbo soles for rock boots. Peruse the classifieds on scuba sites, you'll see FAR more rock boots for sale than any other alternative.

Well it's a little harder to sell used turbo soles.:D

But I agree, turbo soles are way better - at least for the diving I do. I guess rock boots have their place if you have lots of treacherous terrain to cover but you shouldn't choose them over turbo soles just because rock boots are perceived as "easier" to dive. ('cause their not)

I am actually surprised that rock boots are the standard suit option and that turbo soles are a "down grade"

Hunter

Back
Top Bottom