How was DEMA 2009 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This year many former exhibitors, in particular manufacturers elected to not attend as a protest against how DEMA is spending it's membership's $$. It would be a mistake to conclude that "No Booth = Financial Distress"

It's a trade show not a consumer show. The exhibitors paid dearly for the chance to expose their wares to their customers, i.e. the LDS, not to provide grist for "journalists" It's perfectly natural that exhibitors would want their pricing information to remain confidential.

Tobin

...if anyone were interested in serious 'industrial espionage' they'd have one of those little microscopic video cameras hidden in a shirt button or something and they'd happily film/steal any 'intelligence' thay wanted to that way....not walk around waiving a obvious camera and making no attempt at stealth. If security were really an issue, why are non-insiders being issued 'press passes' anyway ? I'd seriously reconsider buying from any manufacturer dumb enough to display top-secret info at a trade show where press-passes are also liberally sprinkled about and then complain that their info is being compromised.

...if anyone were interested in serious 'industrial espionage' they'd have one of those little microscopic video cameras hidden in a shirt button or something and they'd happily film/steal any 'intelligence' thay wanted to that way....not walk around waiving a obvious camera and making no attempt at stealth. If security were really an issue, why are non-insiders being issued 'press passes' anyway ?

Damn good question, but you will have to ask DEMA, not me.

I'd seriously reconsider buying from any manufacturer dumb enough to display top-secret info at a trade show where press-passes are also liberally sprinkled about and then complain that their info is being compromised.

Did I say top secret? Ah No I said pricing info.

Here's a thought: why don't you call up the first ten of your favorite scuba gear brands and ask them to fax you a copy of their wholesale prices. Let me know how that works out for you.

My guess is you will have to give up scuba if you want to avoid all the manufacturers who wish to keep their wholesale price list confidential.

It's a TRADESHOW that means it for folks in the TRADE, not some "instant" free lance Journalist who may not have a clue.

Tobin

Last edited:
In this particular case Tobin, I was taking pictures of the tops of the tanks. I was mostly trying to show the interesting brushed finish, which, as much as the sales rep claims is identical to any other brushed finish, wasn't. It struck me as a unique aspect of the tanks. My plan was then to photograph the pretty logo the company had on the side of the tank. I never planned to divulge any secret pricing info, and if I post up pictures of the booth from afar, I will purposefully blank out the pricing info from their sign. I understand that it was a trade show, and never could anyone say that I was attempting to record in any way pricing information for any companies. I wasn't there to capture that information, and I hope no one would do that.

I had a pass that clearly identified me as a photographer for Scubaboard, and I introduced myself as such. Their sales rep was incredibly rude and kept accusing me of working for Luxfer and trying to steal information about their tank design. I asked him some questions, and he did answer some of them, before he rudely and brusquely walked off.

Other than that, I was impressed with the show as a whole. Lots of companies who asked me to take pictures of their products and to look at them, so that I could give them a positive mention on Scubaboard. And I will do that soon here, I just need time to go through all the photos to make one mega-photo-writeup-thread.

I was surprised that two different booths seemed upset at me looking at their products and taking pictures. I don't know if I should name them, but one company who had tanks on display practically ordered me to leave, even with my press pass. They told me that they thought I was with a competitor and would steal their proprietary tank information. I decided I would not be giving them a glowing review for having the best deal on tanks. Any company that doesn't want pictures of their products on Scubaboard, I wonder how good their product is. If you look through my pictures and notice some company has a really good price on tanks at their booth...

In this particular case Tobin, I was taking pictures of the tops of the tanks. I was mostly trying to show the interesting brushed finish, which, as much as the sales rep claims is identical to any other brushed finish, wasn't. It struck me as a unique aspect of the tanks. My plan was then to photograph the pretty logo the company had on the side of the tank. I never planned to divulge any secret pricing info, and if I post up pictures of the booth from afar, I will purposefully blank out the pricing info from their sign. I understand that it was a trade show, and never could anyone say that I was attempting to record in any way pricing information for any companies. I wasn't there to capture that information, and I hope no one would do that.

Luxfer is supposed to "know" you will do the right thing? In your first post you sure seem to be focused on "deals" and pricing

Again it's a trade show, and the exhibitors have spent money to reach their customers. It's not a press conference, and you are not "entitled" to any information from any of the exhibitors.

To come here and slam exhibitors because they failed to show what you consider sufficient deference only tells me you don't belong as member of the press at DEMA.

Tobin

A couple of things.

Many of us stopped relying on DEMA years ago. As a trade show, the importance of attending has diminished. As an organization, they have lost touch. Our top 5 dealers didn't even attend DEMA this year and they are five of the largest dealers on the West Coast.

As far as picture taking, some of us have been burned mightly by Chinese manufacturers who knock off products. I went to DEMA last year to meet with some people and actually saw one of our suits in anothers booth with their logo. It's common courtesy to ask if the company minds if you take pics.

A couple of things.

Many of us stopped relying on DEMA years ago. As a trade show, the importance of attending has diminished. As an organization, they have lost touch. Our top 5 dealers didn't even attend DEMA this year and they are five of the largest dealers on the West Coast.

As far as picture taking, some of us have been burned mightly by Chinese manufacturers who knock off products. I went to DEMA last year to meet with some people and actually saw one of our suits in anothers booth with their logo. It's common courtesy to ask if the company minds if you take pics.

The cylinders he was taking pictures of were Chinese knockoffs....

I have attended DEMA for many years (attendee only). Most of my time is spent in training seminars (which is the BIGGEST advantage for Instructor/Trainers). Every seminar I attended was full; a couple of seminars I was sitting on the floor. Even the early morning seminars were well attended, which not usually the norm.

The overall size of the show was smaller, and it was evident when you walked to the end of the rows and saw how they had retracted the show to accommodate the fewer booths; the ends were sparsely filled and that is when you got a feeling of emptiness. Some exhibitors which normally had prime spots were now along the walls.

The travel industry seemed to have a huge presence, but I think it was because the dealers and manufacturers had scaled back their size and scope so dramatically. Scubapro's booth was VERY small, I actually walked by it several times without noticing them. Most manufacturers had great reduced their displays.

The attendance was obviously smaller as well, as you actually were able to chat with reps.

The photographic booths were all located in a generalized area, with floor seminars. I attended several of the presentations, and again, they were well attended.

I thought there would be fur flying with the scathing public letter writing campaign that went on in the days leading up to DEMA, but, from my vantage point, all was pretty much quiet and they seemed to air their dirty laundry this year on internet, which was certainly interesting.

I hope the bureaucracy of DEMA can get it's act together, I have thought it to be very beneficial event.

The cylinders he was taking pictures of were Chinese knockoffs....

So we have a college kid armed with press credentials who's first instinct was to promote the knockoffs, but because the booth staff threw him out he comes here and slams them.

That's a pretty ugly picture all the way around.

Tobin

Tobin,

Luxfer wasn't supposed to know anything about me. I'm not associated with Luxfer. I think you just got confused here. What I was trying to say is, I was there to take pictures of products, not pricing. I was taking pictures of products, not pricing, when I was accosted.

I'm not even trying to slam them, particularly. I just am saying that their sales rep was rude, and would not communicate with me. Instead of listening to me, he accused me of several things. Then, he walked off in the middle of answering some questions about his product, a product I wanted to be able to tell some dive shops in the area about so they could potentially become customers. I just don't like rude sales reps. And before you say "they don't like rude press," you should know that I was extremely polite to them. I was more than willing to show them that I hadn't taken any pictures yet. I was just interested in learning about their products, not in being a pain.

The press is one of the ways that companys can communicate with customers and potential customers. There were many, many people not at DEMA. Press information is a valuable tool to reach potential customers.

And it looks like we have an old manufacturing dude whose first instinct was to be polite but because one kid doesn't like rude sales reps, he's decided to try and convince the world that the kid is an idiot. That sounds like a pretty picture, all around.

Another thing I realized is, some of these people who get involved in these huge debates on TDS, are old or getting there. I'd never really thought about it before.

Also...i mean, a tank is a tank, right? A chinese knockoff should be just as good as any other brand, right? They didn't look like a crappy product at all, infact, they looked nice! The finishing on them was a unique brushed finish.

It's kind of funny you say that. We had an outstanding show. I saw many old clients, and met many new and potentially new ones. Someone asked me if I had an opinion about the state of the dive industry. My response would be, look up the aisle. We'd look up the aisle. Look down the aisle. We'd look down the aisle. Now, do you see anyone here younger than I am? I'm 46.

Maybe the young guys are interested in something us old guys aren't offering?

Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom