what's a fair price for a N90s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sillago

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just trying to get an idea of how much a n90s would cost first and second hand (letsay in mint condition) so I have an idea of how much to expect. I know the web has prices but would also like to know how much you would think is a fair price.
The alternative of course is for me to just buy a D1X.....sigh...since I'm still dreaming..why not a Ferrari as well!
;-0

Thanks all

OK here is a ballpark answer off the top of my head.

New N90s is about $690ish....used on e-bay $500-600.
But wait! You need a lens....60mm Nikkor $400, 105mm Nikkor $600, 20mm Nikor $450
But wait! You need a housing..Aquatica 90...$1300
But wait! You need ports for the housing for different lenses $250 ish
But wait! You need a good strobe...Ike SS200 about $650
But wait! You need strobe arms...$150 each side if 2 strobes
But wait! You need insurance...since I flooded mine in Cozumel $200/yr
Oh...don't forget the film!
Oh and don't forget a case to put it all in too!
But wait! You need a SECOND JOB...no time to take pics anymore.

Interested in the more expensive F100?

Just ooff the top of my head, prices may be higher or lower depending where you shop...good luck!;-0

Hmm...yeah...knew this was going to hurt the bank account!
About the insurance bit, can you only get insurance in the states? I've been trying to ask around about insurance in Australia and no one seems to know anything about it ..or they don't want anything to do with it!
Is there a insurance agency specifically for underwater cameras??

Thanks

P.S. Yeah F100 was interesting option...that's why I decided that if I did want it, I'd rather go for the D1X which is only about USD5000 (body only)

The only place I recommend for insurance is right here;

http://www.equipmentprotection.com/page9.html

Divers Equiptment Protection Plan....best there is in my opinion and that of MANY others!

As to the F100, $1000 vs $5000 for the D1X, big difference and way too much for me to spend for a camera body. The housings for the D1X (seacam the only one I know) is way up there as well but you can't get them. Only a few pros have them or will be getting them any day.

Too much to spend in my opinin. But if you have it go for it! :)

ps...I just picked up a F100 for topside stuff. No sense starting all over with housings even though the camera is way better. I think the N90s is good enough for me at this stage. Maybe in a few yrs that D1X will be a D10X and sell for $1500!

Are you looking to house an N-90 or sell an N-90?
If you are looking to house one, I'd recommend looking at the F-100. The N-90 has been discontinued, so support will not be as good in the future. Yes there are many new and used bodies available, and will be for quite sometime. It's just that the F-100 is a much better camera for not that much more money, especially if you plan on housing it. Most the major manufactures now make housings for the F-100. Sea & Sea has discontinued their N-90 housing. The Aquatica N-90 housings can be had for some excellent prices through several places like Helix or B&H, but they have been sitting on the shelf for several years, so there may be a reliability issue. Aquatica it self may be on shaky ground (though I have heard some encouraging news lately). If you look at current price of housing, camera body, and all accessories needed to actually get both systems wet, the price difference is not that great. For the less than $300 extra (US) on a complete system, you'll get a much better camera/housing set up. The only exception is Iklite; their F-100 housing (IMHO) is not as good as their N-90 housing. Of course this is just my $.02 (again that's U.S.)
Dive Safe,
Rooster

PS Median price for a new N-90 is $699 and the F-100 is $999 (the price of a new N-90 less than two years ago)

Yeah..I've heard conflicting views on the f100 vs the f90s. Personally I've always felt that if it ain't broke...why fix it...on the other hand..new toys are always fun!
I've actually checked up prices for housing both the f90 and f100 and found that there is quite a big difference between them. Also if I'm not mistaken, in some case (Ikelite I think) you have to get specific strobes (maybe I'm wrong...can't remember anymore..toom mnay numbers in my head) for use with the camera and housing

No doubt the F100 is a better camera, I have both! The housings for the F100 are a bit more expensive, strobes, arms, lenses are the same.

The question is how much do you want to spend. The N90s will be discontunued in 2002 but is still on the Nikon website so figure replacement parts will be around for probably 5-7yrs? (guess). My guess is in 5 to 7 yrs you'll want a new rig anyway. However if you have the extra money to spend get the F100, it is better!

I won't (for now) because I don't want to sell the N90 stuff a dn start over after only buying it in Oct 2000. I'll get a few yrs out of it first. I am actually getting used to shooting this camera now and starting over and spending more money just doesn't make sense for me. I take way more photos on land all year so I got the F100 for that. Anyway sillago Rooster is right the F100 is a better camera.

hi sillago (howdy from an ex-pat aussie),

The prices DiverX quoted are in USD, so double them for the pacific peso (aka australian dollar).

You mention the D1X (drool), but have you seriously considered a housed digital camera? Nikon has just released the Coolpix 5000 which is a 5 megapixel digital camera (non-SLR), for about $900-$1100 US depending where you shop. Subal is rumoured to be offering a housing soon, and no doubt Ikelite will before long as well. Ikelite housings run around $750-$950 US for digital. You'll still need strobe(s) and arm(s), but can get away with not having to buy additional lenses or ports... (although there are lens/port expansion options for digital) anyway it is comparable, maybe cheaper, than buying a housed SLR. It's almost the same resolution as the D1X (5 versus 5.5 roughly speaking), you're just stuck with limited lens options (and a lot more cash left over in your pocket!).

You would have to get specific strobe cords, not necessarily specific strobes, to use with a specific housing. All Ikelite strobes are built to be compatable with Nikonos and Nikon SLRs as far as I know, and some of the Nikon Coolpix cameras also work with ordinary Ikelite strobes, and don't require their new digital line of strobes.

choices, choices.....

Hello,

Ack. aquatica housings are $$, instead of shelling out the $1.3k shell out 1/2 that for the ikelite equivalent.

As for the body goes you can pick up a used one easily for about $550, new is about $700.

Again, why put a $700 camera in a $1,300 housing? The housing will be more $ than the camera! Lens choices, sigma 20mm $350 (new), sigma 50mm 1:1 macro $240 new (AWSOME LENS!) That combo should allow you to do most things.

So now we're up to $1,700. Just need 2 ports ($113 each), a sync cord (about $80) and a strobe w/ arms (the tray is built into the ikelite housing). The best arms on the market is the ultralite or you can go w/ the ikelite ones. Retail on the ikelite is about $120. Strobes on ebay run about $400+1

Total now is $2,600. Hey, you don't have to buy it all at once. Buy the camera and 1 lens, 1 port and the housing. Then add the other stuff as needed. You can start off learning ambient and then add the strobe. Will be less bulkier and easier to work with.

Ed

yeah I am going through a real dilema with camera gear...all this started because I wished I could take better closeup shots of fish primarily. Using a Nik V just doesn't work when you try and put a framer around a fish that is camera shy (Hey ..I'd pay the fish to be my model but they prob don't like my form of payment!). So here I am trying to figure out the best deals with the best camera for the best price.
I've considered digital and I've asked around (about 8 thread ago) and decided that I'd rather have the 8 Megapixel quality that conventional film has, mind you having to save $$$ on film processing is a real bonus, plus the instant gratification of seeing the pictures before wondering if the shot came out and being able to take about 120 shots instead of just 36...man..why do I suddenly want to buy the D1X so badly!!!
Hopefully digital will get cheaper as technology improves (like my P2 which is 2 yrs old and already obsolete!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom