Canon G11 case cracked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Oly case has the same types of lines...I took it down without the camera like Diver_85 said to do here...Haven't ever had a problem....Never take a new case on a first dive with a camera in it......

I don't see any distortion in between the lines like you'd expect to see if you were looking through the cross section of a crack. Still a bit disturbing. Especially since I'm considering a G-10 housing from Canon. I'd give them a ring. And ALWAYS do a 'dry run' with every new housing.

Try it underwater without a camera inside. Put the housing in the bcd pocket, dive as usual and check it at the end of the dive. If you see any drops of water inside, send it back.

Not cracks. N

I showed your photo to a product designer who immediately cried "partline!" and scoffed at the ignorance of we-the-general-public.

So, I reckon that in exchange for the longgg monologue about molding and plastics that I just sat through.... you owe me a detailed review of the camera and case, with plenty of photos! :popcorn:

After a dry run of course, and the usual pre-dive leak testing.

Last edited:
Can you also feel them from inside? I assume you have taken yours down under and had no problems? I just put mine inside a bucket of water and no leakage. But the bucket is only 1.5'. The increased pressure at 80 feet will definitely have an effect on it if it's really cracked.
I havent got the housing here atm, my mother ran off to the red sea with the setup so i cant check if I can feel them unfortunately.
I have however taken the camera on probably 50 or so dives and taken 1500-2000 photos with no issue, several dives to the ~100ft range.

Also, I concurr with the dry run. It should be the first thing to do with a new housing anyways..

I just received the case today in the mail. There are few crack lines I noticed on outside and inside of the case. I am little worried. Most of the crack lines look like originated from a button. They look like caused by over tightening. I opened the case and ran my finger cross them. I can definitely feel the crack. I attached a picture here and hoping to get some expert advise. Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Canoncasecrack1.jpg

You can also see there's another crack by the button to the right.

Here's a big copy of it.

My G11 and housing arrived today too (with marks in exactly the same spots), I'm glad I read the whole thread 'cuz you had me worried!

My G11 and housing arrived today too (with marks in exactly the same spots), I'm glad I read the whole thread 'cuz you had me worried!

:) :) If you take yours diving before next Saturday please let me know how it works out. I'll test it next Saturday and post update here when I get a chance.

I called customer service of where I bought it from. The lady helped me was really nice. She went and got another brand new one from the package and she said it also has the same "crack" marks. I am less worried now. :)

The "crack" marks got me worried because I work with acrylic sometimes. These marks look exactly the same as when I drill holes and wasn't careful. Same as when drilling glass fish tanks. That's how the crack and leak start.

The marks are known as "knit lines" in the plastic molding industry. You will find them at every hole in the molded housing and they will all be aligned in the same genral direction.

What happens is as the molten plastic (polycarbonate in this case) flows from the one injection point in the plastic mold, it passes around the holes and forms the "knit line" at the down stream side of the hole.

This is not a defect, and no I don't work for Canon.

Take the housing on a dry run (no camera inside) dive to 40 meters with some dry tissue paper inside, to see if there are any leaks before using it with a camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom