Hairy Scorpion Fish in Anilao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl_H

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone know the technical name for the fish shown below? I can't seem to find it and am becoming curious! I'm assuming it's a hairy or weedy scorpion fish but it doesn't seem to match any images I can find of ether species.

We managed to find one at Secret Bay in Anilao last weekend - it's a fish I've never seen before, although it turns out there were two of them a few inches apart but we didn't spot the second one for a few minutes :)

I think we got lucky as while trying to get some photos a juvenile flamboyant cuttlefish turned up before heading off straight towards blue-ring octopus sat on a small rock a few feet away!

Has anyone seen this species before in Anilao or is it one of those lucky finds?!

Thanks,

Karl

Hi, Carl. I think your picture is a Weedy Scorpionfish. "Coral Sea Reef Guide" had the most definitive picture. This book and "Diver's Guide to Reef Life" say the Weedy grows to 25 cm (9.8 inches). They have the Ambon at 8-15 cm (3-6 inches). Perhaps the size will help define it for you.

Sounds like a great dive. I'm passing that info to our dive group for this weekend; I'd like to see a weedy and a blue-ringed octopus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom