UW Video on Night Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamperpetua

Reaction score
Is this even possible? I imagine one could get some cool life on video, using some pretty powerful lights, but what about capturing bioluminescence with the lights out?

I've got a Canon HDV 1080i with an Equinox housing.

The Canon has special settings for "night" and "fireworks," but I'm worried about camera shake with those longer exposures.

Any tips, tricks, or ideas would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

P

Shooting UW Video at night with lights is very easy. I shoot both with lights most of the time, and occasional shots with just the bioluminescence. It does not take much to light up the bottom during the night.

What lights do you plan on using?

I'm just a rookie using a cheap 6mp that does take video at low res. I was able to get some fun video at night using just my dive lights. When diving fresh water at night it’s nice to get some video of catfish. They are very active at night and very graceful moving in the water.

UW video at night is totally do-able and adds a whole new dimension to your skill set. I've been shooting at nite with an ancient sony + Ikelite video lite with a 100 watt primary. As you know you often see a whole different batch of players after dark and capturing their unique behavior on video is great. My favorites are octopus and squid. Watching them morph into different colors and shapes is priceless. Also it seems that you can approach the creatures closer at night. Filming at night takes patience and a partner that is on board with what you are trying to accomplish. Sometimes an additional light source from your partner on the subject from a different angle can be helpful. Good luck. You will really enjoy this.

My Facebook account (Dr. Bill Bushing) has several night videos on-line for anyone to see. In fact, most of my diving the past 3-4 months has been to film at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom