Report - First Dives in Monterey Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_willy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wanted to share my experiences doing my first dives off the california coast. I had a great time and highly recommend the area to anyone thinking about visiting. Although the conditions can be challenging....

My first dive was at the Breakwater at Monterey. I knew conditions may have low visibility and although I have not dived Kelp before I had heard a lot about it. Hence I was a little concerned about the dive and knew my buddy would be nervous. Of course visiting in November meant that most of the kelp had been washed out by storms. Which meant the kelp there was much more manageable for a first time experience. I guess its more diving a kelp copse than a forrest ! Visibility was probably 10-15'. However the dive was great. Even with the limited kelp it was still a fantastic experience. Very different to anything else I have dived. I was amazed at the number of starfish, the fish that dont flee but just alter their positions to hide in the kelp and the almost surreal view of looking up towards the surface through the kelp.

The next day I did a couple of dives at middle reef in Point Lobos. Visibility in the cove was very low, but reasonably good over middle reef especially when we got to about 50 feet. There was a significant amount of surge, which added another interestign dimension to the dive. It difficult to describe the beauty of middle reef. Its a rocky expanse with cuts and passages through. The invertebrate life was terrific from starfish to anemone to nudibranches. The area is highly colorful witht he different species present along with the green and shadow lighting provided by the kelp.

All in all, a great few dives and I look forward to going back to dive more of the areas. A high light for me was seeing a sunflower star. I have attached a picture - not the best shot since I was having fun managing my dive light and camera in the surge.

sunflower star.jpg

It is great to hear that you had such a good experience in Monterey/Carmel! I try to tell people all the time that it is SOME of the best diving in the world if you can get past the low vis potential and the cold water!

The sunstars are amazing arent they? We are spoiled as we may find 20 of them on any given dive at Lobos without looking for them. I think that they have become part of the scenery to me!

Thanks for the update.

Have you ever just stopped and watched them move? They are seriously mobile! I saw one of them that looked like it was big enough to eat a man, and I was a bit worried. They are surprisingly pliable, like leather, I've never picked one up but I have touched one and they are kind of mushy, not like the bat stars that are hard.
So glad you enjoyed your dives!

Thanks for the report, Scuba_willy! I love reading about people's impressions of our local watering hole, and I'm glad you had some good dives! Hopefully it's even better next time you're out here.

Thanks for comments.

Planet Earth had some good footage of a sunstar hunting brittle stars. Amazing that as fast as the sunstar moves most of the brittle's get out of the way. How do they see it coming....? I guess water is a great transmitter of pressure and hence oncoming motion. Still amazing to me that these creatures are so capable of evasion

Thanks. It's been over 20 years since I got to dive Monterrey Bay, and it was a great experience.

Kelp forests were a real rush, and after cold Mass and Maine waters CA seemed pretty warm to me!

You brought back some good memories!

Glad to hear you got to go to Pt. Lobos too, much better then the breakwall where every one goes. Right now the kelp is actuall REALLY dense there and at many other sites around because there haven't been too many big storms. Next time you go out hit up Carmel on a weekday if possible. Better diving and less crowded. Enjoy the best diving that CA has to offer!

Have you ever just stopped and watched them move? They are seriously mobile! I saw one of them that looked like it was big enough to eat a man, and I was a bit worried. They are surprisingly pliable, like leather, I've never picked one up but I have touched one and they are kind of mushy, not like the bat stars that are hard.
So glad you enjoyed your dives!

I love the sunstars, too. They come in quite a variety of shades and sizes. I have heard that they have a very hard time letting go of neoprene. I think someone once told me a story where a diver took twenty minutes to get a large one off his arm. I once touched a tiny one and was surprised at how strongly it attached itself to my glove finger, and from it's top-side. Like many of our sea creatures, be cautious touching them. :crocodile:

Shasta_man, congrats on getting to Middle Reef. It sounds like the conditions were a little challenging. I hope you make it back on one of our better days. Pt. Lobos is full of fantastic sites.

Yeah, I'm really not one to touch critters, we know what happens when some of them touch you (sea nettles).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom