Weight harness vs weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed that Aqua makes Weight Belt Suspenders (see Aqua Weight Belt Suspenders ) - this $20 item should allow you to convert a weight belt into a DUI-like system. Does anyone see any drawbacks to this cheap way out?

I have 2 sets of these... way down at the bottom of my junk box. They do work, but are hard to adjust and make ditching weight difficult. I will sell mine for $10 each+shipping to anyone that wants to try them.

We now use the DUI harness, we have 2 for 3 divers. My sons all but refuse to use a standard weight belt. I will, but the DUI harness gets used when I have a choice.

I have the DUI W&T (original and the newer one). There's only one disadvantage to it. When I doing a boat dive, I am terrified that when I take off my BCD, I'd sink to the bottom. Friends with a weight belt takes off their weight first, puts in in the boat, then takes off their BCD. I have to take off my BCD and then take off my weights.

Another thing to consider. I dove with my harness for several months before I decided to practice ditching the weight. As hard as I tried to pull the cable, I could not ditch the weight. I simply could not pull the cord out. I had the same problem with my daughters DUI harness. I finally was able to pull it out. After the first try, we haven't had any problem since. If you have a new harness, I would STRONGLY recommend you try ditching your weight.

I use a DUI weight belt and love it. There are those who love to bash the belts but all in all its all about your own opinion. I tried it using only the weights on the harness and none in my bcd and it caused my bcd to tend to want to float up. But when I go dry its an awesome way to prevent overloading the BCD.

Its all about Diver preference but it beats out a plain old belt any day as it does not tend to want to slide off at depth like the traditional belt when your suit compresses.

Love my DUI harness but wish I got the classic version not II. The front clip is junk and if too tight it likes to come undone. Also I added a chest strap because I didn't like how it was pulling my shoulders back. I have a buddy who sent his back because it fell apart and then send him a new one so they do stand behind their product. I remember my first few dives I hated it because it felt like it was pulling me down when ascending. I no longer notice it and wouldn't go back to a belt or the integrated weights in my bc because I don't trust the clips on the bc.

The new one (the classic) worked just great yesterday. I also recommend ditching the weights to exercise that string.

I'm kinda surprised at how quickly the last one (the WT II) degraded though. I put the weight in before each day of diving, once or twice a week. Haven't noticed anything. Then last Friday I'm putting weight into it and notice all four webbing attach points are just shredded and ready to blow.

I keep wondering if I did something to make the material degrade. I just rinse in fresh water and hang it in my scuba shrine (minus the soft weights, those stay in a bucket).

Stuff happens! I guess you just have to not take equipment lifetime for granted and do a good inspect more regularly.

Yeah,

My plastic buckle kinda sucks too! I'm just careful about making sure that it clicks in. However, once the BC is on it's golden!

So the general consensus seems to be that the Classic is a superior choice? I'm contemplating whether or not I should get one of these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom