Official 7th Annual Venice Beach Turkey Fry Thread Sponsored by Scuba Quest!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey turkey people... I was just flipping through the mail and got a flyer from Sweet Bay. They have turkey's for fourty nine cents a pound. So if ya haven't picked up your turkey yet, that is a heck of a deal.

CD, I just spoke to FB and she will also be bringing corn souffle. Also you can remove Skuba Girl/Susie from the roster. Thanks. :)

@SharkWatcher, Was just talking to FB and remembered a funny story... Remember last year when you walked with me up to Sharky's so I could rinse off? I do. I remember the confusion, followed by a look of relief, on your face when you were staring at my wetsuit...:rofl3:

@ SharkBaite - What did ya find out sir?

LOL yes tracy I do remember, we'll keep that our secret!

Done.

As much as I'd have loved to get signed up and get an opportunity to meet some of you and introduce myself, I will be in SC this weekend as I usually do for Thanksgiving. However, one thing that I think could help this thread is if there could be a little more info about the diving itself included. What time do you guys usually go in at? Which beach spot do you dive from? Are you eating before diving? Will there be a divemaster present? Have I annoyed everyone enough yet? Do fried turkeys float in salt water (and if so, what food coloring types work best to make it into a dive buoy?) . .Sorry couldn't resist

Also, had I not had a prior engagment, I'd be thinking Meg Tooth shaped pieces of chocolate cake with white icing and making some raspberry topping.

If there were some more events like this I'd definitely get myself and my "non diving" SO out there.

Is there directions to this that I missed? I'm thinking about heading down and I'd hate to end up sitting around by myself cause I didn't know where to find you guys at. Any one know what the water temp is? Is this considered a one tank or two tank kinda dive?

I just got a rush job that needs to be completed by the beginning of next week. This means I wil have to work this weekend to get it done. I am very sorry but I will have to cancel. :(
If anything changes, I will let you know.

Sorry to hear that Salmonboy.Well see you next year.

Heres the location of Sharkeys. With Google directions Theres a link in the first post regarding tooth hunting.

Heres the short version:
These will be beach dives with a max depth of about 21 feet.Teeth are usually found in about 18-21 feet of water.As far as number of tanks, it depends on the individual.They range from 1-3 tanks and bottom times of over an hour are not uncommon.Vis ranges from brail to 6-10 feet. Depends on the weather.
Dive flags are a must for anyone diving.

Generally well enter the water on the south side of the pier, but you can from the north also.

Cosmo, as far as other events like this, there are several thru the year in this area, you just have to keep watching the forum. Typically there 1 or 2 during the summer, and a few throughout the year.The Turkey Fry is an annual event in this area. Since you cant make it, you are more then welcome to send the cake in your absence and well be sure to sacrifice a pice or more for you.

Divemasters: several
Needed:No
Time to enter water: Any
Eating: anytime were done.
Diving first: yes
Diving last: yes
Turkeys float? Only frozen.
Intersting Dive ?if you use a turkey yes.
Food dye need for dive flag? No. If you use frozen, the locals will take care of the water color change for you. If not Red Dye number 5.

Much appreciated. . . .I saw some of the pictures from last years event on the Scuba Quest site as well as the thread for it . . . looks to be quite the good time. Thanks for all the info, looks like next year I'll be planning to come back on Friday night instead of Saturday and I'll be checking back for future events.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom