40 Fathom Grotto & Troy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to visit the Crystal Springs area 1 week from now. We have scheduled some training and pleasure dives while there.

The last and first time I was there, 40 Fathom Grotto was closed as they were performing upgrades on the facility. Has the Grotto since opened and has anyone been there in the last couple of weeks to comment on visability?

I have read that conditions change quickly at Troy if the river overflows dark tannic into the basin. Has anyone been to Troy recently that can comment on conditions?

Any adanced area reconnaissance would be appreciated as we will be flying in from a distance and want to have some contingency plans in place for our trip.

Thanks
:lam:

40 Fathom is a great place to dive now, Unlike the days when I have heard it referred to as 40 Fathom "Ghetto". :shocked2: I have dove in the past and after renovations and it's a class A center now. They have redone the whole facility and it's now a NAUI Training Center.

I could be wrong but I think 40 Fathom is closed to divers other than the ones attending the commercial diving school there.

It was open a couple of months ago when I went but now .........

40 Fathom is closed to divers right now. Based on the river levels, Troy should be relatively clear.

I could be wrong but I think 40 Fathom is closed to divers other than the ones attending the commercial diving school there.

It was open a couple of months ago when I went but now .........
That's what I heard when I was in N FL a couple weeks ago. The rumor is that the focus of the new ownerhsip is soley on the commerical operation, with a chance it may open up to other divers later.

Thanks to all responders. I will adjust my plans around going to 40F, but it sounds like it would have been a nice place to check out.

Hey Pinto!
I doved Troy spring last Thursday and the water was clear (me and my dive buddy were the only ones there). The same day we went to Royal Spring but the water was really mucky.
Can't speak for the 40 but we tried to do the Blue Grotto and it was closed that day.
Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom