1984 PST for $50?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charged

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
PST Steel Tank
DOT-3AA2250
March 1984

Im going to guess this thing is probably not even worth $5. I mean, its last test was April 1984. And wasent this the date that marks it as being composed of that alloy that consistantly failed? Meaning, that a SCUBA shop wont even fill it in fear of it rupturing in their face?

A guy has offered me this for this price.

But I thought this was the steel that was notorious for rupturing? Also, given its age...does that mean it wont last much longer?

Help me out here, why would you be willing to give $10 for a tank that, due to its explosive tendancies...is no more valuable than its weight at the scrap yard?

I've always thought that it was older Luxfer aluminum cylinders that had all the issues with cracking at the neck and rupturing during filling.

But I thought this was the steel that was notorious for rupturing? Also, given its age...does that mean it wont last much longer?
Its a specific AL alloy that is known for this. Steel tanks are good to go as long as they pass hydro. Steel tanks often times can last a life time if taken care of.

The age is not a problem at all. Steel tanks are often seen in service from the 1950's for scuba diving and someone was mentioning they got a commercial steel gas cylinder from the early 1900's once.

I would try to convince they guy they are worth much less, but $50 is still a good deal as long as they pass hydro, or I would return the tanks and expect my money back, arrange before the sale.

At this point PST is out of business, and their DOT number is invalid. So far no one has ever had anything to do with DOT and scuba tanks related to PST. At least not that I have heard or seen written somewhere.

So far no one has ever had anything to do with DOT and scuba tanks related to PST.

What is meant by this statement? That nobody will fill the tank?

The DOT number in question is only for the HP tanks. The LP are not affected by this at all. What size tank is it? If you don't take it I know more than few people who will. And as stated earlier it was ALUMINUM tanks that were affected. I have steels from 53 and 55 that are still in use. And I;d also ask for it to pass hydro and vis. You may also need a valve. Those can be rebuilt but a new one is no more than 45 bucks if you look around. If it does and it's something like a 95 or 108 you have a tank worth a couple hundred bucks with excellent buoyancy characteristics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom