1984 PST for $50?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The age is not a problem at all. Steel tanks are often seen in service from the 1950's for scuba diving and someone was mentioning they got a commercial steel gas cylinder from the early 1900's once.

I would try to convince they guy they are worth much less, but $50 is still a good deal as long as they pass hydro, or I would return the tanks and expect my money back, arrange before the sale.

At this point PST is out of business, and their DOT number is invalid. So far no one has ever had anything to do with DOT and scuba tanks related to PST. At least not that I have heard or seen written somewhere.

Huh, What are you talking about? And as I said the DOT exemption is only for the HP tanks and even those can be renewed by an individual. There was a thread with the procedure or link to it. Or go over to the deco stop and ask there.

I'd hit it!

Chug

Huh, What are you talking about? And as I said the DOT exemption is only for the HP tanks and even those can be renewed by an individual. There was a thread with the procedure or link to it. Or go over to the deco stop and ask there.

Thanks for correcting me TWICE before I even had a chance to post. Sorry, you are right I am wrong. I didn't really pay attention to the 2250psi operating pressure.

I do stand by my other statements.

Physically, its about the same size as an AL80. Then its also coded with: I G 79 +

....or something like that

Charged, Pretend you don't know anything about scuba tanks because your half correct information is just screwing you up.

Here's the basics:

1. What you are looking at is a steel tank.
2. There are no inherited problems with rupturing (if it hasn't been abused).
3. It sounds like it is within the 72-95cuft range.
4. You will need to have it Hydroed and Visually inspected.
5. If it hasn't been abused it should pass hydro (generally speaking). A steel tank, well maintained, could realistically out live you in useful service.
6. It may or may not have rust inside. You can determine this with a visual inspection.
7. If it were me I would pop the valve off (bleed the air first), peek inside with a flashlight and, if there was nothing too funky inside, I might risk $50 (or arrange a refund if it fails hydro).
8. Some shops may feed you a line about older tanks but for a steel tank that's all it is... a line.

Good luck. I wish someone were offering me such a tank for $5.

Last edited:
Help me out here, why would you be willing to give $10 for a tank that, due to its explosive tendancies...is no more valuable than its weight at the scrap yard?

If that's what you think, sell it to me and make a fast ten bucks.

$50 is about the going ebay rate for a galvanized LP72, which is almost certainly what you're talking about. They are my favorite tanks to dive with. The various statements being bantered about in this thread are prime examples of the misinformation and lack of understanding about tanks, especially steel, in the scuba world.

The tank will pass hydro; with the low service pressure, the test pressure is low enough (3750) so that hydro failure is pretty rare. If it's been mistreated, like stored empty or had some wet fills, it might be corroded inside and fail vis. I'd skip the dive shop altogether and bring it to a fire extinguisher test facility where they actually have some training, they can look inside and possibly tumble it if necessary, then hydro test.

But if you're afraid of getting blown up by it you can always sell it to me. :wink:

If that is a PST LP 72, it is actually one of the prefered LP72s because the information that the hydro shop needs to retain the "+" rating is available.

4 of my favorite tanks I use the most are all steel 72's that date in the ealy 50's and one in the late 40's for their first hydro. I agree to skip the dive shop and go directly to the hydro shop directly they will charge you about 1/2 of what the dive shops do and some will even do a vis for you, but I would either get a way reduced price or set up prior arrangements that if it fails hydro you get a refund.

The lack of more recent hydros can even be seen as an advantage (assuming there is no water inside) since it means the tank has probably seen very little actual use.

I am a bit puzzled by the markings you gave in your first post. Is it really stamped "March 1984"?

should be nothing wrong with it.I would prefer oif there is no paint on it and the exterior is just plain galvanized steel.BUT to ask for $50. for a tank that needs a hydro and a visual is too much $...you may wind up investing another $40.-$50, for a tank that has a value of only at most $50.For that kind of money you are very close to buying a new tank..offer the guy $50. if he gets the hydro and vip..if he refuses then $10.-$20. is reasonable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom