DIR GUE and backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to confirm -- before my Cave 2 class, I reconfigured with two long lights to be compliant with equipment guidelines in the standards, and once I got there and was struggling with the lights, David told me, "Oh, you don't have to have 3 C-cell lights any more . . . " They still don't like switches, though (and I don't blame them!)

up yers, trace - said with love. :D

nah, it's a strength thing - i can't lift the bottle one-handed, but i need one hand to hold the ring open, so i've been practically laying on the bottles to get them on. this will hold the ring open, i hope.

Have you considered "backup light loops"? They keep the lights up and out of the way a bit, and are tiny and can't really hurt anything. You'll never get them back in while UW, but that doesn't matter, just clip off the way you would have if you didn't have them, should you deploy your backup for some reason.
That's the same argument people used to use to defend hose stuffing, and it's just as specious in this instance as it was for that one.

One of the key aspects of the DIR gear config is that it promotes a sort of muscle memory, which then leads to procedural consistency. To that end, you need to be able to deploy and stow the backup lights the same way, all the time every time. These loops contribute nothing in that regard. In fact, they do exactly the opposite. The first time you need a backup light and can't get it disentangled from the loop, well that's not going to make whatever situation you are in any better.

This is basically an "engineering solution to a training problem", which does not really address the underlying issue. If you are struggling with the lights getting in the way of your bottle clipping, then what you need is more practice with bottle clipping, not some new gear convolution to "fix" it.

If a man does this, it is called, "Fixing a skills problem with an equipment solution."

If a woman does this, it is called, "Accessorizing." :D

Disclaimer: This is a joke. This is only a joke. No bashing of male or female divers is intended. No animals were harmed during the making of this post.

:rofl3: Methinks you're a tad hypersensitive, Trace!

In my (very recent) Fundies class, Bob Sherwood mentioned that having back-up lights clipped to the D-rings would help keep the D-rings from "flipping up" and make it tricky to clip things off. So I mounted my Raider back-up on the right side, making sure the rubber band held the light as far down on the shoulder strap as possible. And sure enough; as long as the back-up light stayed in place, the D-ring remained open and accessible. Just a thought from a rookie.

... very nice Trace :wink:

Henrik

Interesting idea, CompuDude. The problem with mine is that if I have the light up high enough that it can't possibly get in the way of the waist strap is that the bolt snap "lays" on top of the light (kind of makes a "T"). If I move it down far enough that the snap can stand up on the light (like in your picture), then it gets in the way of the waist strap. I try to keep the light down far enough such that the snap stands up, but it doesn't really seem to work well for me. I think a smaller light may be helpful for me....eventually I'll try it out and see if it's the solution I'm looking for.

It's really not that bad, just a minor nuisance. That's probably why I haven't been in a big rush to "fix" it.

That's the same argument people used to use to defend hose stuffing, and it's just as specious in this instance as it was for that one.

I don't disagree that it's better to address an underlying skill problem, but it's not even remotely the same situation.

If you don't "reloop" the bolt snaps after deploying (very rare to deploy in the first place), you end up with lights exactly the way they are normally (as if you didn't have those loops). With hose stuffing, you end up in a huge mess if you deploy and had to return it for some reason.

Personally, I'm on the fence. Sometimes I loop them, sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood. And it doesn't really make a difference... I can deal with d-rings just fine, looped or not. If it helps someone, though... *shrug*

I don't disagree that it's better to address an underlying skill problem, but it's not even remotely the same situation.
Actually, I think it is.

Something that works only until you deploy it, begs the question..."Why even bother with it in the first place."

Just another gizmo to "clean up" the rig.

One of the key aspects of the DIR gear config is that it promotes a sort of muscle memory, which then leads to procedural consistency. To that end, you need to be able to deploy and stow the backup lights the same way, all the time every time. These loops contribute nothing in that regard. In fact, they do exactly the opposite. The first time you need a backup light and can't get it disentangled from the loop, well that's not going to make whatever situation you are in any better.

It's actually not hard to get them stored back the way they started while underwater. I have seen people do it without even having to look. I'm not really sure why it would matter other than a predive check though. Once you switch to your backup light, you probably aren't going to stow it until you are at the surface anyway. Even if I do clip mine off, I like to leave it turned on and hanging on my chest D-Ring so it's there if I need it.

As far as consistency goes, what can be more consistent than having the backup snap in the exact same place on the DRing every time you reach for it?

I don't think there's anything inherently anti-DIR about this little tweak. I've considered it myself on occasion, but have never bothered trying it out. I've even had GUE instructors call it acceptable, although not recommended.

Tom

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom