Strobes for MXIIEX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this question before and got good input-but alas differing input(just what I expected).

I have a YS60 strobe and figure more, well placed, light will help my photos.

If I get another YS60 it's going to cost me for the dual strobe adaptor in addition to the new strobe. I have decided that it's easier(and cheaper) to get a slave that doesn't need a cord. e.g. the YS30 or the YS90....therefore....next paragraph.

Which one should I get?? The YS30 looks pretty small and is $284.95 at L.P. The YS90 looks "beefy" and is $474.95 at L.P.

Does the YS90 put out that much more light compared to the YS30? Is the YS90 worth the extra cost?

Thanks
Mike

The YS30 is pretty weak. I'm sure it would work fine as a second strobe for fill flash work, but I wouldn't buy one.

With regard to the YS-90, it is my understanding that for the strobe to work in slave mode it must be triggered by a larger strobe. You might contact Sea & Sea about this before buying it. You'd hate to buy the strobe and find out it won't work with the YS-60.

I wouldn't think that it would need to be triggered by a bigger strobe since most standard camera flashes will trigger a strobe.

Asking Sea & Sea is a good idea-but I couldn't find an email area at their web site.

I was also thinking of my second strobe to fill more than just macro. I'm going to Cozumel in January and need all the light I can get to illuminate those cenotes. That's why I was thinking YS90-more light-but how much more is it?? I don't know.

I have a YS50 and use a YS30 slave. The 30 is good for fill but that's about it. I'd buy the YS90. It has 12 power settings so you can manually adjust it to what you need.

I haven't heard that about needing a larger strobe to fire the 90 in slave mode. Not that I know it all but I don't think that's true. One fellow who could tell you is Jeff Farris aka Sharpdiver. E-mail him at farmach@att.net...he'll be glad to help you. I know he's been using the YS90 on his digital via a fiber optic cable triggered by the camera's internal flash which has a low output.

The YS90 will probably be my next purchase.

HTH

The YS-90 can be triggered by the YS-60. The problem is that you will lose the TTL capabilities of the YS-90, which is a much better strobe than the YS-60 . It doesn't make sense to use a smaller TTL strobe to trigger a larger Non TTL strobe. The larger strobe will have to be set to a manual setting. You will have to manually calculate the settings for each shot. This can be done, but will take practice, and a bit of testing. If you decide to get the YS-90, I would highly recommend you get the double synch cord. This way you can maintain the TTL capabilities of both strobes.
Dive Safe,
Rooster

The advertisment says that the YS90 does sync in slave mode for TTL operation with the use of a sync cord.

How does it do this without the cord??

Mike

Buff,
I stand corrected (on a couple of things). First the YS-90 does in fact claim to be able to synch as a slave in TTL without a synch cord. 2nd, it has the same guide # as the YS-60. So this does seem to be a great setup.
Rooster

Yes it does sync as Rooster said. I have one as my second strobe for my setup. Had it when I had my MMII-EX and it is a very good strobe! I use it in slave mode since I only have one bulkhead for a strobe and the Ike SS200 is plugged into it.

Works like charm!

Back
Top Bottom