what's a fair price for a N90s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by blacknet
Rooster,

I take it you've never worked around dolphins or sharks :) You need all the advantages you can muster. Canon is the way to go in focus speed.

No system is perfect. The question of framers and fish came up and I presented a very workable solution for a limited budget. Besides you can guestimate the intersection in those cases and you can literaly get closer to the subjects in the cracks.

Ed
Many, many, many, sharks, no dolphins (at least UW), yet. Actually sharks and dolphins are so large that you have to be so far back, or you have to use a wide angle lens, so a few milliseconds faster focus is still no big deal. The F-100 will focus more accurately and in less desirable conditions (low light, low contrast etc.), than all but (as far as I know) the F-5. Plus focus speed is not just a function of the camera. It is also dependent on the particular lens being used. How about a Jack swimming fast past your face, is that fast enough? (See below). It's not a great photo, but all I could do was point and shoot.

As far as the framers go, I wasn't contradicting your recommendations, I was just adding my experience with them. Besides one man's limitations are another man's strengths. With the DOF being so narrow at that magnification, guessing is just not an option with me (I always guess wrong!) :eek:

Dive Safe,
Rooster

Originally posted by DiverX
Rooster!

Hi!! I know you were not trying to slam the N90s! I agree with you 100%, the F100 is better (and the F5 better still!). Just no sense for me to get a new housing for the F100. If I were to start again with the money in the bank I'd getthe F100 & housing but I am very happy withthe N90s. In fact my guess is you may be able to get some nice deals in the coming year on the setup, used or new as some folks upgrade. I'm happy with my photos and in time I'll upgrade maybe to a digital SLR but for now I dare not bring it up or Louise may hear me! :)

ps...nice "seeing" you around!!!:eek:

Hi DiverX,
If I were you, I wouldn't be looking to upgrade any time soon either. At least not with the pictures you have been getting with you current set up. As I've said before, very very, nice. I haven't had a chance to download you slide show. I'm currently in Oklahoma and using a very slow ISP, (24k, oh no). I have read all the rants and raves, and I'm looking forward to seeing them. Haven't been posting much lately, but I'm always lurking about. I did download the program you are using. I'm looking forward to getting it home to my slides and Santana MP3s.
Dive Safe,
Rooster

Hey Rooster!

Just have one question, 24k ISP? What the hell is that? :)

I'm sure you'll have a blast with the slide show software, great way to spend a rainy afternoon or two. But then you don't have them on Guam do you!

Upgrade to an F100 housing...sheesh, I'd get kicked out of the house for sure! I'll wait a couple yrs for that digital SLR and keep the N90s for UW for now.

See you around at 24k.... :D

Hey DiverX,
you high speed guys need to cut me a little slack;-(
Right now I'm screaming along at 26.4Kbps :eek:
Makes me yearn for my flying 56k modem on my desktop at home. I finally endured the long download time and got your slide show. Neat stuff, I'm very impressed, and inspired. Can't wait to get back home:tree: to the warm water, my UW camera, and my fast(er) computer. As for digital I'm looking to house my wife's Nikon CP-995. I think it will be good for her, and I'll be able to "PLAY" with it. For me, I think I'll wait untill the SLRs get to 10 megapixels, and drop to half the price (5 grand is a little out of my toy range). I'd say 2 to 3 years. Should be ready for a new toy by then.:mean:

Dive Safe,
Rooster

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom