Piston vs. balanced diaphragm for 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it?
I thought the 555 was non user adjustable while the S600 is adjustable. To me that is a huge difference.

It is. Many divers do not see the value in the user adjustment. But I find mine to be very useful in currents and surf, and to maximize performance. All of my alternates are user adjustable which allows me to turn them down when not in use to avoid freeflows and still have top performance when in my mouth. Plus, I don't believe the S555 has the seat saver feature. That feature is not to important if you service annually, but I tend to go 3 to 5 years between replacing seats on my balanced poppet regs.

Scuba Pro seems to be a good brand... I use Mares now but have many problems with them, they are difficult to keep in good shape and ScubaPro seems better.... Oh, and I dive almost every day of the week so, this is based on frequent very frequent use.

Is it?
I thought the 555 was non user adjustable while the S600 is adjustable. To me that is a huge difference.

You are correct. I agree spend the little extra $$$ and get the S600 (I think the S555 looks funny anyway). I love mine. As for the OP's question if you are diving colder (<45 degree) water get the mk17 for warmer water I like my mk25's.

The OP asked about "quality, simple, reliable, entry level, high performance not necessary" reg for his kid, and as usual, the high end reg owners just recommend what they have. I'm surprised someone has not chimed in "I love my atomic titanium".

If you're looking for a new scubapro that fits the above criteria, the MK2 is the obvious choice. Buying any reg used from DA Aquamaster is a good choice because it's been maintained and serviced by a real expert with a high degree of integrity.

I'm curious about that feature. That moves the seat away from the orifice when depressurized right? Well, doesn't water get in when you dunk it in to soak?

It can if the user adjustment is not dialed all the way in. Probably the reason SP dropped the feature from the non-adjustable models.

The OP asked about "quality, simple, reliable, entry level, high performance not necessary" reg for his kid, and as usual, the high end reg owners just recommend what they have. I'm surprised someone has not chimed in "I love my atomic titanium".

I love my Atomic Titanium. Couldn't resist the offer to chime in. though I love the Atomic I just had my Mk V serviced and have used it reliably for 35 years.

Larry

You can't wrong with any Scubapro reg. The MK2 is great reg for beginners and also technical divers, but so is the MK11, MK17 or the MK25, but the later comes at a higher cost.

You should be able to rent any of the mentioned Scubapro regs, and give them a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom