Rigging a pony for a single tank setup??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speardoggin

Contributor
Reaction score
I have done some searching but I see way too varied opinions for applications that are not close to mine.

I spearfish on almost every dive and want to add a pony bottle setup (just in case) to my rigging. I currently dive a Sequest balance BC(comfortable but not the best) with a single HP 133 faber. I want to add a 30-40 cu ft bottle. It cannot be slinged on the right side due to interference with the speargun. I need it to be as small as possible, out of the way for the most part. I am not opposed to slinging it on my left side, but I am not sure how much of the way it will be. I do have a D ring on top and bottom of the left side of the BC. Also, does anyone make a steel 30 or 40? I am not sure if this will throw off my trim.

What do you guys suggest for my application and do you guys have any pics?

You may want to consider attaching the pony to your main tank. I prefer to not sling if I expect to use my hands like in spearfishing or photography. For me, tank diameter is more important than length. For an aluminum 30, Luxfer is slimmer (4.87") by almost 1/2 inch compared to the Catalina or HyMark 30s (5.25", same as an AL40).

If you can get by with less air, the AL19 is 4.38" in diameter and is the largest capacity aluminum SCUBA tank of that diameter.

Faber makes a steel 3442psi 23CF tank only 3.94" diameter. It's the largest capacity really slim pony. The next sizes up steel ponys are all about 5.5" diameter.

I don't use a sling when spearfishing. I use a hard mount to my main tank. I have a 40 ft3 pony that I use most of the time. I also use an h-valve on all my tanks. That might be a good option if you dont want to carry the pony.

I use a 19 CF pony......

I now sling it, but I started with the Ultimate Quick Draw Bracket which worked well.......

If you need "front free" out of the way mounting I can highly recommend it......

As far as trim I used a 3 lb weight in a XS Scuba weight pouch to offset it....

Hope this helps......M

Heavy Duty Quick Draw Bracket 13/19

Back
Top Bottom