Diving Palau/Truk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benbird

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a trip in Nov/Dec of 2010 to these location. Am I correct that this is a good time of the year? Also, does anyone have any info/suggestions regarding travel options from Palau to Truk? I'm thinking of traveling from the US to Palau first through the Philippines. Any info is much appreciaated.

There is only one option to go between Palau and Truk. Contental Air Mic. through Guam. only choice. as for time of year weather is almost the same year around here. I would spend at leat one week in each place. In Turk do a liveaboard get more dive in not much to see or do on island.

Dale Still on a little rock in the Pacific

HI,
Actually you can connect thru the Philippines twice a week . There's a flight that leaves Guam-Palau-Manila and returns the same way.

I go there at least 3 times a year. It used to be kind of "iffy" to go there between Sept-Dec so if you can avoid that time I'd say do so. Nov-Dec are busy months so expect LOTS of dive boats at the different spots.

One more thing. Get the best deal you can get to the PI and return thru Manila and then contact Dianne at MDA of Guam. They've got pretty unbeatable prices within the region and very good service. I've been using them for years. Her email address is islands@mdaguam.com.

I just returned after 10 days there for another video You'll definitely enjoy Palau.

From what I've seen and read on this forum and other places, Palua is the place to use a liveaboard. Otherwise you'll miss some sight and have relatively long boat rides. The land based operators on Chuuk visit the exact same dive sites that the liveaboards visit. If your into history, there are really interesting places to visit on Chuuk and other nearby islands. There isn't a large tourism infrastructure but their are historic bunkers, buildings and other historic sites. Access is somewhat limited to some things but there are places worth visiting on Chuuk.
I hope you enjoy your trip. I lived on Chuuk for a few months and Palau is on my bucket list.

We did Yap/Truk so can't help you with flights but did Palau on its own. Would have to agree a live-aboard is the way to go there. More variety of dive sites, no long panga rides, more dives per day. You can check out the trip reports, photos and slide shows for each at our site. But again live-aboards at both locations Truk/Palau are the way to go, IMHO.

While the boat rides from Koror can be a bit long each day they are not that bad as you at least get to cruise through the Rock Islands. We did Palau via a sail boat Eclipse - Palau Diving, Fishing, Kayaking, Snorkeling and Wreck Diving Tours which was great fun. If I went back to Palau I would stay here: Dolphin Bay Resort & Peleliu Divers in Palau. There are some other live-a-board options for the area.

As for Chuuk. IMHO the land based sites are okay. Though fewer, the ones on Pohnpei are better. As such, I would not make seeing them part of my decision of where to stay. Both of our trips have been on the Odyssey.

Finally, to your original question. I have never paid (directly) for any flights into the area. I have always used frequent flier miles. It is absolutely the best bang for the buck on miles. We have done the Island hopper out of Honolulu (60k miles) as well as gone through Tokyo and through Guam multiple time (85k miles). Everything in the area will be on Continental Micronesia which does a good job - especially the ground crew in Guam when dealing with lost bags from other airlines.

December is a very busy month in Palau for Japanese tourists. Fortunately, there are two places Sam's Tours and Fish N' Fins that cater mostly to western tourists while the others cater to mostly Asian tourists.

Back
Top Bottom