Ti-Planet and EAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your regulator is getting hot enough to cause Titanium to burst into flames, you've got more problems than that :D

200 degrees c, not that hot in fire terms.

contaminants that may be present that ignite can easily achieve this.

if you use your reg with standard compressed air, it must be recleaned before use with nitrox because compressed air contains traces of hydrocarbons and potentially flammible residues which are incompatibile with enriched oxygen use.

From my reg manual

if you use your reg with standard compressed air, it must be recleaned before use with nitrox because compressed air contains traces of hydrocarbons and potentially flammible residues which are incompatibile with enriched oxygen use.

From my reg manual

I have a difficult time understanding the logic of this statement. Does the manual reason that EAN mixtures are "pure", while compressed air has "traces off ... potentially flammible residues". This goes in the face of my understanding that EAN fill ups use compressed air with a 'charge' or blend of 100% Oxygen. The point being, the majority of the mixed EAN breathing gas comes from a compressor - does it not? Ergo, the EAN mixture contains the same 'contaminants" as compressed air. Why should cleaning a regulator for Nitrox use after using compressed air be a factor?

Most TI regs are safe to use upto EAN40. If you do run O2 through it there will be big issues. I've seen a video of this but can't seem to find it right now.

From my reg manual

You do understand that most compressors now use a membrane system to prevent this. I don't know any shops that have a compressor that pumps air that isn't nitrox compatable. Some of the smaller personal compressors that I have seen have this issue.

When we create nitrox using partial pressure blending, we do indeed put in straight O2 and then top it off with the same air with the same contaminants you would be getting if we filled a tank with straight air. It doesn't make any difference.

We can do that because we have pretty darn clean air, air that we know is clean enough for use with O2. Most dive shops will have that.

...generally it's 'safe' to use recreational Nitrox mixes (up to EAN 40) with TI regs.....I've got an Atomic T2 that's OK with that......the big issue is the purity of the fills and if you switch back and forth between 'air' and NITROX. If you get your fills at various places (locally and/or on an overseas dive trip....third world location/primitive-poor conditions/too cheap to keep filters swapped out often enough) you increase the odds of getting fills from dirty/oily compressors, contaminating the 1st-stage...then if later on you use that TI reg with a high O2 %, with 3000 + PSI flowing into the 1st-stage, you might cause a TI fire......bad news! ......just keep the 'mix' below EAN40.....make sure all O-rings are swapped out with Nitrox compatable ones.

I have a difficult time understanding the logic of this statement. Does the manual reason that EAN mixtures are "pure", while compressed air has "traces off ... potentially flammible residues". This goes in the face of my understanding that EAN fill ups use compressed air with a 'charge' or blend of 100% Oxygen. The point being, the majority of the mixed EAN breathing gas comes from a compressor - does it not? Ergo, the EAN mixture contains the same 'contaminants" as compressed air. Why should cleaning a regulator for Nitrox use after using compressed air be a factor?

...I'm not an expert on this, but there are different standards/levels of 'gas' quality....and some places just doing 'air' fills have a lower purity (higher permissable level of hydrocarbon contaminants) standard.......than is usually permitted for Nitrox fills.

...generally it's 'safe' to use recreational Nitrox mixes (up to EAN 40) with TI regs.....I've got an Atomic T2 that's OK with that......the big issue is the purity of the fills and if you switch back and forth between 'air' and NITROX. If you get your fills at various places (locally and/or on an overseas dive trip....third world location/primitive-poor conditions/too cheap to keep filters swapped out often enough) you increase the odds of getting fills from dirty/oily compressors, contaminating the 1st-stage...then if later on you use that TI reg with a high O2 %, with 3000 + PSI flowing into the 1st-stage, you might cause a TI fire......bad news! ......just keep the 'mix' below EAN40.....make sure all O-rings are swapped out with Nitrox compatable ones.
NITROX T2 ONLY

At the time of purchase, you must decide if this regulator is to be used with Nitrox (EAN) or standard compressed air. If you choose to use EAN this regulator must be dedicated for EAN USE ONLY and designated with marking consistent with industry standardss for EAN.

DO NOT switch between EAN and compressed air unless it meets the more strigent purity standards for oxygen compatible air (OCA) as defined by ANDI/IANTD.

Standard compressed air may contain traces of hydrocarbons, which could contanimate the regulator system with potentially flamable residues incompatible with EAN. If you use or test this regulator with standard compresses air it must be cleaned before use with EAN

NITROX T2 ONLY

DO NOT switch between EAN and compressed air ........UNLESS......... it meets the more strigent purity standards for oxygen compatible air (OCA) as defined by ANDI/IANTD.

...which reinforces my exact point......you CAN switch back and forth between 'air' and EAN....IF the gas quality meets the appropriate standards. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom