Sea & Sea YS-110a vs Inon S2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markster33139

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to decide between these 2 models. If you had to choose could someone tell me which they prefer and why?

Both are very nice strobes. I have several of the s2000 strobes and so far they have worked flawlessly in sttl mode with a canon SLR in a Subal housing. The YS110a has a GN of 22 on land while the S2000 has a GN of 20 or so (depending on how it is measured) so they have pretty much identical power. The main advantage of the S&S is that it has both optical and electrical sync connectors. The main advantage of the Inon is that it is considerably smaller and lighter than the S&S and quite a bit less money. I always think of the ys110a as between the s2000 and the z240. Finally, the Inons in my hands shooting my kinds of macro pics recycle quite a bit faster than the S&S which has a published recycle time of 2 seconds or so.

Bill

I use YS-110a in an MDX-D300 housing... if your are on the compact size I think you will be better of with a s2000, but if use (or plan to use) a DSLR a bit more investment might prove helpful.

I use YS-110a in an MDX-D300 housing... if your are on the compact size I think you will be better of with a s2000, but if use (or plan to use) a DSLR a bit more investment might prove helpful.

Depends on your housing and your style. I am using 3 S2000 with my 50D/Subal housing and for macro at least it is quite fine. Some pics from the Philippines are posted below in the main photography section. For wide angle, I think you will need bigger strobes in any case. If you can make the optical connection work, STTL is very very nice. The YS110a is also a nice strobe but a bit too big and a bit too much money for me. For travel, 3 S2000 strobes are quite easy to pack, and don't weigh much. In any case, both are very nice strobes for macro and either will work fine for your application.
Bill

2 Questions:
1) Where can I get one in NY (manhattan preferably);
2) What do I need to fit this in a Ikelite Canon s90 housing? Are they compatible with Sea&Sea arms? What about the optical connection cable?

Thanks in advance

2 Questions:
1) Where can I get one in NY (manhattan preferably);
2) What do I need to fit this in a Ikelite Canon s90 housing? Are they compatible with Sea&Sea arms? What about the optical connection cable?

Thanks in advance

I just ordered the s90, and am deciding on the housing at this time (leaning to ikelite, but I may wait for the FIX case). I asked a shop for a reco on a strobe set up here's what they suggested to go with the s90 + ikelite housing, assuming you went with a single Sea and Sea YS-110a:

Sea & Sea YS-110α Strobe
Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Cable L-Type
ULCS TR-D Digital Tray x1
ULCS TR-DHB Padded Handle w/ Ball for Digital Tray x1
ULCS AC-CS Clamp, Traditional Style (lighter weight) x 2
ULCS AD-SS Adapter for Sea & Sea YS-Style Mounts x1
ULCS DB-05 5" Double Ball Arm x1

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info... specially the arms.
Sorry forgot to mention, I am interested in the Inon S2000.
Any place to get it in NY? Is it compatible with Sea&Sea Arms and Optical Cable?

The Inon strobe has a standard 1 inch ball adapter. You can attach any arm that has 1 inch balls to it. I am not aware of any dealer in Manhattan that carries Inon, neither B&H nor Adorama carries Inon. You will have to do a little surgery to make the S&S fiber optic cable attach to the Inon strobes. Best to buy an Inon strobe cap (one comes with the strobe) and take off the center of the cap (held on by a c-clip) then cut one end of the fitting off the S&S cable then pull through the cap. Sounds hard but very simple to do.
Bill

Thanks for the info... specially the arms.
Sorry forgot to mention, I am interested in the Inon S2000.
Any place to get it in NY? Is it compatible with Sea&Sea Arms and Optical Cable?

Inon strobes can be fitted with a variety of balls or clamps, review the inventory at Reef Photo, as there are so many variations it would be difficult to cover them all. Yes, the S2000 can be fitted with the Inon one inch ball adapter and then can be used with any strobe arm set that uses one inch balls.

The optical cable is a different beast. The best bet for an Ikelite is to purchase the Inon cable set with the little cable plug and cap and then mount it to the diffuser. The FIX housing will probably have an adapter for Inon strobes as an accessory.

N

Back
Top Bottom