Does an IP Address reveal our identity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It not so much the IP address, its the MAC address of the modem. The MAC address of the modem never changes, the DHCP server uses this to assign IP addresses. Most times the DHCP server will give you the same IP, unless your provider is really screwing with you and rotates them.

In short, changing the IP address with the DCHP server does not make you any less tracable. Now, if you reflash the MAC on your cable modem that would work. However the ISP uses the MAC on your modem to control your account, IE if you don't pay they block that MAC.

If you don't pay your ISP for your internet service the way they shut off your cable modem is by blocking any requests and reverting them to the ISP's you need to sign up page. They do this with the MAC address of the modem. That is why when you sign up they record the MAC address on the modem. I'm sure you pay your cable bill or who ever your ISP is :wink:

This has nothing to do your your little situation from Tonga, there not your ISP.

It not so much the IP address, its the MAC address of the modem. The MAC address of the modem never changes, the DHCP server uses this to assign IP addresses. Most times the DHCP server will give you the same IP, unless your provider is really screwing with you and rotates them.

In short, changing the IP address with the DCHP server does not make you any less tracable. Now, if you reflash the MAC on your cable modem that would work. However the ISP uses the MAC on your modem to control your account, IE if you don't pay they block that MAC.

Packets contain the MAC address of the last router that handled the packets, not the sender. It's not possible to obtain the sender's MAC address from across the internet.

Terry

Packets contain the MAC address of the last router that handled the packets, not the sender. It's not possible to obtain the sender's MAC address from across the internet.

Terry
Absolutely correct.

(Unless you can remotely access your personal router management screens, which I do all the time), and identify MAC / IP's of your internal network). A good case for changing your default router username/password...

Bottom line, Diveress... don't sweat it...

Terry

I don't believe my post says that a someone can get your MAC address across the internet.

Just pointing out that your ISP does not us IP addresses to identify someone.

Back
Top Bottom