Why the SPG is clipped to the hip ring.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just thinking about the setup and I was trying to understand the rationale behind the SPG being clipped to the left hip ring. Can anyone give me why it is done this way I saw some divers clip it to the left shoulder ring with the hose going under the armpit or they tight it to the corrugated hose so they can see it w/o unclipping.

Can someone explain why this particular configuration was chosen ?

Thanks

Its out of the way.

Can someone explain why this particular configuration was chosen ?

There have been several previous discussions on this topic - suggest you use the "search" function to find and read them. Here's a brief summary of the main reasons:
  1. Keeps the left D-ring from getting too cluttered.
  2. Keeps SPG from interfering with stage and deco bottles (when you start using them).
  3. Gas requirements can be calculated or estimated ahead of time, based on time, depth, and personal gas consumption rate. Therefore the SPG is really more of a backup to the depth and bottom timer (which are wrist-mounted and always in view). Since it is not used as often, it is clipped out of the way.

There have been several previous discussions on this topic - suggest you use the "search" function to find and read them. Here's a brief summary of the main reasons:
  1. Keeps the left D-ring from getting too cluttered.
  2. Keeps SPG from interfering with stage and deco bottles (when you start using them).
  3. Gas requirements can be calculated or estimated ahead of time, based on time, depth, and personal gas consumption rate. Therefore the SPG is really more of a backup to the depth and bottom timer (which are wrist-mounted and always in view). Since it is not used as often, it is clipped out of the way.

What he said. :D Also, if everything is clipped properly there should be no problems unclipping and reclipping to checking your PSI. I have a buddy who used to clip it to the shoulder D-ring before switching completely over to DIR. I decided to try it on a couple of dives and have to admit that, I thought it worked well. But that didn't come from me. :wink:

It works well until the stage becomes empty and you need to apply more action to do it :) Even with properly sized hose it can still sometimes be tricky. That's the only reason made me thinking :)

If I have thick gloves on, I'll clip it to my left shoulder. If I have thin or no gloves, I'll keep it on the hip and un-clip when necessary.

For me it is a dexterity glove thing.

If I have thick gloves on, I'll clip it to my left shoulder. If I have thin or no gloves, I'll keep it on the hip and un-clip when necessary.

Giving you two different procedures for the same issue. Which is why it isn't DIR.

I know several divers who, especially new ones, when starting down the DIR path, clipped the SPG to the shoulder d-ring so they could see it without unclipping. Also, when you're in a single tank with nothing on your left shoulder d-ring, it doesn't get in the way. However, without fail, everyone, when they became more comfortable with the rig, moved the SPG back to the waist d-ring and have had no problems with it there.

Diving thick wet/drygloves all the time out here in Norcal, the dexterity issue is merely a matter of practice/familiarity. Nothing is as easy when you have thick gloves on, but a little practice makes SPG a complete non-issue. You just have to tough it out for a two or three dives, and you quickly learn how to recognize the d-ring position and orientation by feel.

Diving thick wet/drygloves all the time out here in Norcal, the dexterity issue is merely a matter of practice/familiarity. Nothing is as easy when you have thick gloves on, but a little practice makes SPG a complete non-issue. You just have to tough it out for a two or three dives, and you quickly learn how to recognize the d-ring position and orientation by feel.

I agree. A little practice goes a long way. Before you know it, the action becomes automated and effortless.

To help, I wrote a little How to Clip the SPG to the Hip D-Ring article.

spg_boltsnap_dir.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom