Budgeting for DM internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally agree with the comments about just having fun and enjoying the experience. At age 62 I decided to do the DM training just for the experience and quickly decided to go for an Instructor rating. The entire experience on Utila was just unbelievable. I never had any intention of making a living at diving. I only did all this because it was fun and I kept meeting great people from around the world. I did work as a professional for a few months on Roatan and in Truk Lagoon. Both were money losing propositions but the experience and rewards were beyond anything money can buy.
From the comments I've read over the last couple of years, Utila is slighly less expensive for training but Roatan and Thailand are close seconds. I've spent some time with trainees on West End when I worked on Roatan and they didn't seem to be spending much more than I did on Utila. lot depends upon your eating and drinking habits. I didn't keep close track but I spent $200 a month splitting an apartment with another guy, about $10 to $12 a day for food and another $5 a day for Salva. I did cook a few meals and also made a few sandwiches now and then to save some money. I'd say the budget could be from $700 per month to whatever you can afford plus of course the DM fees. You'll like take a few extra courses too so plan on spending a little more than you think on training.
You only live once and you'll never do anything more fun than this so do whatever you can to make it happen.

A couple of suggestions:

Coconut Tree (Will's shop) had a $5/nt. dorm option for their DMT's who are taking classes - at least they did in 2007. Contact the owner - Gay - cocoloca here on SB - for more details. From what she told me it's one of their larger houses and accommodates 6 with (I think) a full kitchen. Between the Coconut Tree store and Woody's market (think really big 7-11 with twice the staples) just down the street, you'd likely not have to go to the south side very often for food.

And we had some pretty good meals for under $10, there's a pasta place just down the street and other options. You could probably get a burger and a beer for not much more than $10 at Sundowners across the street also - it's a dive hangout.

And the market in Coxen Hole had everything like you'd expect in a smaller market here. I paid $15 r/t once to go there from Coconut Tree - cabs wait out in front of their property. And I was in a hurry (friend was in the hospital) so didn't negotiate the fare. Had time to kill so I walked over to get a few things.

A couple of your countrymen - SB friends of mine, just did their DM/Instructor training at CTD this fall. Tasha blogs about it here: Home They started there on a year dive excursion so are trying to do it affordably.

You are going to have the best time of your life! Guaranteed! Sorry...just had to weigh in on this discussion since I am currently in Roatan. I came down at the end of August to do my DM with Coconut Tree and ended up going through to instructor. I can honestly say the experience has changed me as a person forever. I know, I know...sounds sappy and trite but it's true.

I have made friends I'll cherish for the rest of my life, made memories that will keep me howling with laughter until I'm old and gained skills...mad skills!!! I've seen things I thought I'd only ever see on television and laughed so hard in this big blue ocean that I thought I'd drown with joy. There is something to be said for embracing a passion and truly experiencing it. I am so excited for you!! You are going to love what's around the corner! If you want a sneak peak of my experience you can read my blog at Home. I must admit that I can be bad at keeping it up-to-date because I'm just having too much fun finally living.

There was mention of it being an expensive option for a cert you may or may not use (depending on your goals) but that is crazy talk! (No offense). I have taken in over 100 dives during my time here and learnt a heap of valuable skills. Depending on the shop you choose (and the amount of instructors on staff), you have a bunch of talented and experienced instructors willing and able to give you advice and help. It is worth ten times what you pay!! I promise you that much.

In any case, when you end up in Roatan stop by the Coconut Tree deck for a beer or a communal cooking session (burrito night is a must!). It's a friendly bunch- whether you decide to DM with the shop or not. We welcome new friends with open arms! It's all about diving baby! Get wet!! :D

PS...Didn't read Steve's last paragraph where he mentions my blog! Thanks buddy! :D

Last edited:
Escape, that pretty much emulates my experience doing the DM course in the Philippines!:coffee: I miss that lifestyle and my friends there soooo much.....:depressed:

You are going to have the best time of your life! Guaranteed! Sorry...just had to weigh in on this discussion since I am currently in Roatan. I came down at the end of August to do my DM with Coconut Tree and ended up going through to instructor. I can honestly say the experience has changed me as a person forever. I know, I know...sounds sappy and trite but it's true.

I have made friends I'll cherish for the rest of my life, made memories that will keep me howling with laughter until I'm old and gained skills...mad skills!!! I've seen things I thought I'd only ever see on television and laughed so hard in this big blue ocean that I thought I'd drown with joy. There is something to be said for embracing a passion and truly experiencing it. I am so excited for you!! You are going to love what's around the corner! If you want a sneak peak of my experience you can read my blog at Home. I must admit that I can be bad at keeping it up-to-date because I'm just having too much fun finally living.

There was mention of it being an expensive option for a cert you may or may not use (depending on your goals) but that is crazy talk! (No offense). I have taken in over 100 dives during my time here and learnt a heap of valuable skills. Depending on the shop you choose (and the amount of instructors on staff), you have a bunch of talented and experienced instructors willing and able to give you advice and help. It is worth ten times what you pay!! I promise you that much.

In any case, when you end up in Roatan stop by the Coconut Tree deck for a beer or a communal cooking session (burrito night is a must!). It's a friendly bunch- whether you decide to DM with the shop or not. We welcome new friends with open arms! It's all about diving baby! Get wet!! :D

Escape, that pretty much emulates my experience doing the DM course in the Philippines!:coffee: I miss that lifestyle and my friends there soooo much.....:depressed:

Isn't it just the best?! I am going to cry big tears when I leave this place and the people at CCD :depressed: It's been amazing. The Philippines must have been awesome! I'd love to go one day.

i love seeing all the positive responses. Ill be booking that flight very soon.

From what Im reading from responses here, $1000 per month should cover food+accom (im not much of a drinker) correct?

It was really hard leaving for me too. I really connected with my instructor, as well as the great people working there with and around me! there were tears in all our eyes on the day I left. I'll be going back some day, once my 1 year old daughter is a bit more grown up.:)

The Philippines is great. The only problem, is you'll never want to dive the caribean again...:depressed: There is simply no comparison...:popcorn:

@J-Spot: One thing that is very very important in order to enjoy your experience, in my oppinion, is to contact the instructor in advance and talk with him a little about how he goes about the course and what YOU expect from it. If both those things are very different, there are going to be problems... It will also give you a first impression of if you hit it off with him/her. That,s a lot of time to spend with soemone you can,t stand, so looking into this beforehand is highly recommended if you can.

Have fun! I know I did!:D

Isn't it just the best?! I am going to cry big tears when I leave this place and the people at CCD :depressed: It's been amazing. The Philippines must have been awesome! I'd love to go one day.

i love seeing all the positive responses. Ill be booking that flight very soon.

From what Im reading from responses here, $1000 per month should cover food+accom (im not much of a drinker) correct?

YAY!!!! Awesome decision and yes, $1,000 a month will cover it.

The Philippines is great. The only problem, is you'll never want to dive the caribean again...:depressed: There is simply no comparison...:popcorn:

@J-Spot: One thing that is very very important in order to enjoy your experience, in my oppinion, is to contact the instructor in advance and talk with him a little about how he goes about the course and what YOU expect from it. If both those things are very different, there are going to be problems... It will also give you a first impression of if you hit it off with him/her. That,s a lot of time to spend with soemone you can,t stand, so looking into this beforehand is highly recommended if you can.

Have fun! I know I did!:D

Codman - now I really can't wait to dive there!!! :D

J-Spot - I agree with Codman about seeing if you hit it off with the shop before you go. I would honestly just show up, take a walk around and see where you feel comfortable. It really is that simple. Chat with a few people and give yourself some time to figure it out and take it all in. I wouldn't suggest making the decision before you arrive.

I don,t know if this can help or not, but I did my rescue diver with this shop first. I didn't have it, and this served my purpose since it allowed me to see if I like the way things went before comitting to the DM internship! If I didn't like it, I could have walked away at the rescue cert...

Hope this helps!:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom