What got you into diving? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Grandfather was an Abalone Poacher..........He had us kidshaul the bags around behind him while he collected, and then he would get out first to look for fish&game.

I grew up fascinated by the ocean. I would never miss Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges, read every underwaqter themed book, grew up in swimming pools, swimming underwater with a rubber knife clenched in my teeth. Always afraid of ocean though. Afraid of the swimming pool at night with the light off.

Living on Monterrey Bay, I got tired of being near the ocean and not go into it. So I figured the only way to get over it is to see what is under it and understand it. Took an open water class in 1979 and started to realize that everything in the water wasn't out to get me.
Final checkout dive in Jade Cove in Big Sur on a 100+foot day and I was hooked forever. 30 years on, still diving.

Try as I might, I can't hold my breath long enough to see what I want to see, and gills aren't available yet.

My husband and I worked with someone and they suggested it. We did it just for fun. I fell in love. I've been addicted to diving ever since.

Well, I was visiting a friend on Guantanamo Bay, Cuba NB and there is not really much to entertain stateside people with for a week. We drove by the dive shop and I thought it would be fun to go on a local tour, they did not offer Discover Scuba, so certification was the only route, which I did in 48 hours, learned just enough to kill myself, and have been hooked ever since :D I vacation there once+ a year, I know, that is strange. I did know any divers at the time and was never inspired by movies, etc. I was comfortable in the water + compressed air = some sort of addiction :D

Donna

when I was 4 (living in Colorado)I found my pops bad of 1960's dive gear in the crawl space, put on all the stuff the best I could (all wrong) and wandered my way in to the living room.. from then on I wanted to be a scuba diver when I grew up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom