Galileo Terra vs Sherwood Wisdom 2 vs Tec 2G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

widiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All
I am in the market for a new computer. I am currently using a suunto Vyper which I like except for the fact that it is very conservative after multiple dives. My backup computer (an old skinny dipper) and my dive buddy using a different computer will have lots more time left when I have to head up.
I found a great price on the Galileo Terra which looks like a great computer except it's quite large. For a little less the air integrated wisdom 2 looks nice and for a lot less the Uwatec Tec 2G look nice.
Does anybody have any opinions on any of those. I think they would all work well.
I do want a computer that I can download the information to my pc at home so something that has good software would be beneficial.

Thanks
John

I love my tec2g although I only use it in gauge mode the resettable stop watch is awesome. I also find the download software very convenient. Don't bother with Uwatec's IR device though, I bought one on ebay for $6.95 and it works great.

Don't know about the other computers but the Wisdom 2 is a one-gas air integrated console dive computer which is extremely simple to use with big display for viewing convenience.

I can't comment on the Terra or the 2G.

I use an Wisdom 2 with a Sherwood Insight as a backup computer. fnfalman is right - the big display on the widsom 2 is awesome, esp. in murky water. Also, as you are aware, the algorithm is pretty liberal. I like the Wisdom 2 - it is very intuitive. Also, it allows you to ascend at 60 ft/s from infinity to 30 feet, then holds you to 30 ft/s for the last 30 feet - a pretty common-sense feature.

I don't download my dive info so I can't comment to that end.

...... I found a great price on the Galileo Terra which looks like a great computer except it's quite large....

The Galileo Terra is a stripped down version of the Galileo Sol.
We are preparing an online specialty class (see videos below) for the Sol that could be used for the Terra too.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Hi All
I am in the market for a new computer. I am currently using a suunto Vyper which I like except for the fact that it is very conservative after multiple dives. My backup computer (an old skinny dipper) and my dive buddy using a different computer will have lots more time left when I have to head up.
I found a great price on the Galileo Terra which looks like a great computer except it's quite large. For a little less the air integrated wisdom 2 looks nice and for a lot less the Uwatec Tec 2G look nice.
Does anybody have any opinions on any of those. I think they would all work well.
I do want a computer that I can download the information to my pc at home so something that has good software would be beneficial.

Thanks
John

Although I like my Galileo Sol if to do over I would acquire the Tec 2G and a brass SPG to clip-off on left D-ring or what have you...

Has anybody used the different dive log software from either Uwatec or Sherwood?

thanks for your responses
John

The terra is the Sol without the hoseless air integration and heart rate function. There was a pretty good discussion of the Sol here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...196535-anybody-diving-uwatec-galileo-sol.html

I use the uwatec software. I like it; pretty nice and you can set options on your terra on the computer and it will set the terra for you. Lots of information on the dive log, including what your terra displayed at depth for any given spot on the dive profile.

I have owned a Wisdom:

Great single gas computer that tolerates deco and deep stops well, display is excellent, but air integration is a waste of time and I had two SPG related failures on the ones I owned. It is also no longer a young computer. The software is poor - about the same level as my really old Matrix Master. The computer collects tons of data, but the software does not utilize it.

I own a Tec 2G:
Great 2 gas computer that is very intuitive to operate. It uses the same software as the Sol, Luna, Terra, etc. The software is easy to use (a lot easier than the software that came with my Cochran, and just as capable), very capable with lots of information and can show the dsiplay and related information including tissue loading at any point in the dive as identified using a cursor on the dive graph. It also has a gauge mode and makes a great bottom timer to back up an HE computer.

The Terra is on the short list for a new computer:

Same software as the Tec 2G, larger display, fairly intuitive interface and capable of three gasses (with a downloadable update). Rumors of a trimix upgrade have been around awhile so it is a remote possibility. It is large, compared to a hockey puck computer, but size wise it is in the same range as some trimix computers. The lack of air integration and a heart rate monitor is a plus, and the electronic compass works really well.

I don't know about any of the other computers, but I dive and really like the Tec2G. I do dive it in gauge mode, so this may or may not apply to you. I really like having the resettable stopwatch and average depth information available to me at any time.

That said, if you're diving it in computer mode, I'm really of no help....best of luck with your search!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom